Integrating IBM Tivoli Monitoring with
Steps to Send Text and SMS Messages from IBM Tivoli
Follow these steps to use IBM Tivoli Monitoring with PageGate
PageGate can be easily integrated with IBM's Tivoli by using the GetAscii interface's command line integration.
The first step is to create a directory for the command line executable to reside within. If PageGate is installed on the Tivoli system, we recommend creating c:\PageGateData\Tivoli\. If PageGate is installed on a separate system, this can be a directory that you've shared on the Tivoli system or it can be a directory you've shared on the PageGate server for Tivoli to reference. However, if GetAscii will be referencing a network resource, you will need to provide a service account to the GetAscii Windows service to allow it permission to access the network location.
Once you have the directory created and accessible from both the PageGate and Tivoli systems, here's what you'll need to do:
1) Open PG Admin.
2) Go to Interfaces - GetAscii - Settings.
3) Set the 'Polling Directory' to the directory you've just created and shared. By default, c:\PageGateData\Tivoli\
4) Check Enabled.
5) Click Apply.
6) When prompted, you do want this enabled for all recipients and groups.
Now that the command line executable is available, you'll need to create a 'Situation' in Tivoli to reference PageGate:
1) In the Tivoli Situation Editor, click 'Create New Situation'
2) Give the Situation a name, something straighforward like SMS_Alert. Note: Tivoli does not allow the use of spaces or special characters in the situation name.
3) Set the Description to something equally straightforward, like 'SMS Notifications through PageGate'.
4) Set 'Monitored Application' to the desired resource to be monitored.
5) Click OK.
6) Select the desired Attribute Group(s) and Item(s).
7) Click OK.
8) In the Situation Editor, click on the first row at the Source table. For example, Event Create.
9) Add the required conditions to fulfill the alert.
10) When finished, select the 'Distribution' tab.
11) Specify the systems the SMS Alert Situation should apply to.
12) Select the Action tab.
13) Enter the following in to the 'System Command' line:
cd "c:\PageGateData\Tivoli\" & sendpage32.exe <recipient or group> <sender> <message, including Tivoli variables".
For example, let's say you wanted to send a message to the IT_Alerts group from the sender TIVOLI and that the message should say, "Error on: <MonitoredComputer>. Description: <EventViewerLog>."
You would use the following command line:
cd "c:\PageGateData\Tivoli\" & sendpage32.exe IT_Alerts TIVOLI Error on: [appropriate variable]. Description: [appropriate variable]
14) Click OK.
At this point, your SMS Alert system has been implemented.