NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Free SNPP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Free SNPP? Reply with quote

Hi can anyone here help me please, we are based in the UK and have a monitoring application that historically has used TAP to send out SMS alerts, the product now has provision to use SNPP but this is extremely costly, the problem with TAP is that its not always reliable and relys on a modem and analogue line to send out the SMS messages, does anyone know how we could use the internet to deliver these messages?

Thanks

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to ask a foolish question but how is it costly to send SNPP messages outbound? As far as I'm aware, you, the sender, shouldn't be charged to send messages through an SNPP host unless it's a subscription only host.

Airhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not come across a SNPP provider here in the UK that isnt subscription based, most charge a minimum of say $80 per month

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't realize most UK providers had subscription-only SNPP hosts. There are two other protocol options available but I'm not sure if they would be free hosts or not. SMTP and WCTP.

Airhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to use a free SNPP host from outside the UK?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... well, I suppose as long as the SNPP host you were trying to send to had the numbers within its listing, it would work. For example, if you're trying to send to a Nextel UK number and you send through pecos.nextel.com, so long as the cel phone number you want to send to is actually in the number listings for pecos.nextel.com, it would pass the message just fine.

Airhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how it would work, mostly in the UK people use Vodafone, Cellnet or Orange, wish I could come up with a solution though, fed up with using TAP

Airhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever come across a pay as you go SNPP offering, the major issue we have at the moment is that our company provides a monitoring solution that alerts via TAP, but the only problem is that users need a dial up modem to send out the alerts, I wish there were a better way because 99% of users already have broadband, but they do not want to subscribe to an SNPP service here in the UK because they are too expensive, typically they may only receive 6 or so alerts in a month so they cant justify paying $$$ for SNPP

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that's really the only way to do it with UK carriers. They set the rules and we have to play by them. As far as I know, there aren't any free UK SNPP hosts.

Airhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question though, if the ones in the U.S are free, how are they making the money?

OzCom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases - SNPP is used by paging companies to avoid the cost of supporting the infrastructure needed to receive TAP messages - the recipient pays - usually as part of a package plan

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Donb01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you ever come across a pay as you go SNPP offering, the major issue we have at the moment is that our company provides a monitoring solution that alerts via TAP, but the only problem is that users need a dial up modem to send out the alerts, I wish there were a better way because 99% of users already have broadband, but they do not want to subscribe to an SNPP service

Let me see if I understand this.... Your company provides a monitoring service that alerts users to problems. The user's equipment alerts your monitoring service to these problems so you can notify the user. This is currently happening via TAP. You want to use SNPP but it requires a subscription and the users don't want to pay for one???

May I suggest.... Your company buys the subscription, bundles the cost into the cost of your service offering as an optional fee - say you add on a small convenience fee (I don't know your currency, but say $5 US a month) and give out your SNPP login credentials to the customers who wish to pay the small token fee (to offset your cost and give them the convenience and reliability of SNPP).

Where there's a will, there's a way :)

Airhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donb01

Thanks for your advice, the only trouble is that an SNPP subscription say from PageOne here in the UK would cost $100 per month which makes it expensive, I like where you're coming from though.

Thanks

Airhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: