NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Serial Versus All at Once Paging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laphamr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Serial Versus All at Once Paging Reply with quote

Currently, when a page is sent out, all of pagers receive the message inline or one at a time. Eseentially, the last person in the group of 30 gets the message 15 mins after it was actually sent as the message progresses down the line from device to device. Is there a way to have the system page all devices at once or is the a raio based constraint?

Thank you

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking with the protocols involved in message transport, each message really must be contained in its own self-contained packet that's submitted to the transmitter. The receiving systems require the messages to be delivered in serial in almost all cases.

Though, 30 messages shouldn't take 15 minutes to transmit even with the slowest protocol. Typically speaking, data packets can be submitted at a rate of 1 per second or 1 per 2 seconds for RS-232 connections, which means 30 messages should take between 30 and 60 seconds to deliver (+15 seconds for any terminal negotiation time). Other connections can take a bit longer, like POCSAG dial-in (1 message every 5 or 6 seconds) or the TCP based protocols (1 message every 3 to 6 seconds).

What protocol(s) are you using and what do your average delivery times look like?

laphamr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Zeltron connected to my server via serial. The protocol configured is TAP. I see in the log that each pager is neing sent a message on a 2 to 3 second interval. I was unsure if there was an 'all at once' feature so if a mass page (over 100 people) needed to happen, how do I speed it up. I had one today that took 9 mins total for 128 pagers.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Zetron paging transmitters can only accept one data block at a time per TAP port. You may be able to configure a second TAP port and run a second serial line from your server to it, that would give you the ability to do simultaneous transactions but the terminal requires each message to be delivered in its own data block.

You may also be able to configure multi-broadcast capcodes in the terminal and have PageGate reference those for group messages.

For example, if there's a group of pagers that always needs to be messaged for specific calls, you could configure a multi-broadcast capcode for that range of devices. As an arbitrary example, you could say that capcode 1001 actually transmits to a list of pagers.

Then, in PageGate, you would configure a recipient that used capcode 1001 as its ID/PIN and any time that recipient is messaged, the single data block from PageGate could trigger multiple devices on the Zetron side of things.

OzCom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you control the pagers through your Zetron - the best way would be to program a Common CapCode in the pagers. Basically - this appears as a single identity or number to the terminal and EVERY pager with that ID programmed as a Common Cap will receive the message

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: