NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Cellular vs Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laphamr

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Cellular vs Radio Reply with quote

Currently we have cell phone numbers for all individuals for regular communication as well as pagers (run by PageGate) to get notifications should cell fail. Question is, do you have an app that will run on cell phones using the FM? This would still allow for paging should cellular go down and remove one device to be carried.

Thank you.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify something, when you mention "run on cell phones using the FM", what is "the FM" ?

laphamr

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FM Radio (like you car). The way I understand it is that certain cell phone models have a built in FM capability that can pick up a local radio stations.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have an app that could run on the phones, no, but if the phones' hosting provider has a messaging API (SMTP, SNPP, WCTP, GET/POST, XMPP, etc), you could configure PageGate to deliver messages through it.

laphamr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tech Support"]We don't have an app that could run on the phones, no, but if the phones' hosting provider has a messaging API (SMTP, SNPP, WCTP, GET/POST, XMPP, etc), you could configure PageGate to deliver messages through it.[/quote]

I appreciate the information, my intent was to still use the system should the cell network fail. Just trying to be as prepared as possible.

OzCom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur (also known as "Ham") radio will work when cellular networks fail - which is why emergency managers in North America and Europe include their use in disaster planning. With "Packet Radio" - it is possible to exchange text messages with other Ham operators. PageGate can easily be configured to interface with packet radio messaging systems.

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
laphamr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that but unfortunately it doesn't fit my scenario. If I have personnel with cell phones, those cell phones have an app and are receiving traditional FM signal, then I could have PageGate effectively send the page to the cell phone even though there is no cell provider. No need for additional anything is the goal.

OzCom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood - the issue (at least in the US) is that the FCC FM licenses restrict what the transmitter can do

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: