NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Your app and Solarwinds questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luckystrike70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Your app and Solarwinds questions Reply with quote

Hello,
I downloaded Notepager pro to demo sending alerts from Orion NPM to my cell and I got it working ok but have a couple of questions.

First, i'm seeing conflicting information, some places say to use Notepager Pro and some places say to use Pagegate. What is the difference?

Second, when I log off my Solarwinds server, Notepager pro stops working. I'm guessing because its not running as a service. Is there a way to set it up to always run? I could not locate any info on this on your site or solarwinds site.

Thanks!

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both NotePager Pro and PageGate can integrate with the Solarwinds Orion Platform to send alerts. There are, however, a few major differences between the two programs.

Primarily, NotePager Pro is a single PC application and cannot run as a Windows service, which makes the program logon dependent. Alternatively, PageGate was written with server functions in mind and can run as a Windows service, which means it isn't logon dependent.

If you integrate NotePager Pro with the Solarwinds platform, we recommend that you leave a user logged in to the desktop of the system running NotePager Pro. If a user is not logged in to the system, NotePager Pro may not be able to function appropriately and process the alerts from the Solarwinds platform. This is one of the major reasons we recommend integrating PageGate with the Solarwinds Orion platform rather than NotePager Pro.

Unlike NotePager Pro, PageGate can run as a Windows service, which means the program is not logon dependent. For example, you could reboot the system and not log in and PageGate will simply start its services in the background without a user logging in to the desktop.

Effectively, PageGate is a more stable solution for receiving alert notifications from the Solarwinds Orion Platform. PageGate also has quite a few features that NotePager Pro doesn’t.

NotePager Pro contains a single connection engine, which means the program can only establish one message delivery session at a time. PageGate has support for up to sixteen simultaneous delivery engines, allowing it a tremendous level of throughput for high volume messaging environments. While NotePager Pro has the ability to send SMS, email and pages, PageGate offers the additional functionality; like the ability to communicate with web APIs, XMPP chat servers and the ability to process reply SMS messages when using cellular hardware, just to name a few features.

Due to these reasons, we definitely recommend using PageGate over NotePager Pro for integrating with the Solarwinds Orion Platform.

Luckystrike70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the info, exactly what I needed to know.

suchipanday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: General question Reply with quote

Is there a way to set it up to always run? I could not locate any info on this on your site or solarwinds site.

Capital Vraddhi

https://capitalvraddhi.com/capital-vraddhi-reviews/

Last edited by suchipanday on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run PageGate as a Windows Service, that way it will always run.

NotePager Pro can only be run as an application, which cannot be set up to always run.

This is one of the major reasons we recommend using PageGate to integrate with Solarwinds, instead of NotePager Pro.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: