NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Cellphone text messages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qtech Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Cellphone text messages Reply with quote

We will be upgrading our Version 4 Pagegate server to Version 7. In that process we purchased a GSM Modem because we want to be notified by text instead of email. In working with my Cellphone provider, I received a SIM for the modem, however, we can't seem to find a plan that fits. The M2M package is data which is reasonable, however they don't seem to have a "Text" plan other than a per text charge. This would be very cost prohibitive for our use. On the other hand if I added a phone to my plan, I could get unlimited texts. We are considering trying to add a phone to send out the text messages. I know that to do that the phone needs to be able to respond to AT commands. Don't have a clue what type of cellphone might work. Then since cellphones connect via USB, how would you get that to connect to the serial port? Any guidance, suggestions would be great.

OzCom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Your request is a very common one and we have assisted with hundreds of implementations around the world using PageGate with Serial or USB modems (both GSM and CDMA) - primarily in Public Safety (Fire/Police/EMS) dispatch agencies. We have tried numerous makes and models of devices but recommend MultiTech based on reliability. Please feel free to contact us off the list and we can discuss your needs. As a development partner with NotePage, Inc as well as our relationship with MultiTech, we can assist with the software upgrade as well as modem supply and implementation all under one invoice if needed.

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Qtech Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a MultiTech modem because of all of the recommendations that was provided that it is the best to work with PageGate. My issue is with Verizon. When trying to get a plan, because I'm using a modem Verizon initially set up a data only plan. If I understand all the info from the Pagegate support pages, the modem will be sending normal SMS text messages, which then would not require data so to speak. However, they really don't have any text plans for this purpose. I was wondering if you might know what others may have used.

OzCom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a Public Safety Agency (Fire/Police/EMS/911 center), Verizon Wireless has a TEXT ONLY plan available in most markets around the country. If you do not qualify, then get the LOWEST available voice plan and add the unlimited text messaging option. You do NOT WANT A DATA PLAN - SMS traffic is not seen as "data" by the cellular carriers. The most common problem I see is a wireless rep hears the word "modem" and automatically assumes data.

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Qtech Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say thank you for the information regarding Verizon. We went back to the rep and they were able to add the modem number to our existing business plan that has unlimited texting. I did a couple of test texts using a terminal session and it shows up just fine. Had you not pointed me in the correct direction we would have been going about this all wrong. Thank you we truly appreciate your expertise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: