NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Problems receiving messages on Cricket Wireless
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kdorschug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Problems receiving messages on Cricket Wireless Reply with quote

I have a Cricket Wireless phone, my agency uses PageGate Client.
I have tried multiple settings from Cricket the final being 10 digit@mms.cricketwireless.net, I get a blank message from "sender@organization". Is there settings in the program that need changing?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mms.circketwireless.net is their multimedia message host. Their SMS messaging host is slightly different, so try using sms.cricketwireless.net and let's see if that allows the message to come through intact.

Kdorschug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no good, same result. I get a blank screen where the message should be. what I do get under message details when I single click where the message should be is:
Type: Multimedia message
To: +1(10 digit phone number)
Received: date and time
Subject: (this part is always blank)
Priority: Normal
Message size: 1 kb (it's always 1 kb)

Is there any other possibilities?

Kdorschug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have the administrator change the "@mms...." to "@sms...."
prior to my last post

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit odd that the message came in as a multimedia message instead of an SMS message. Can you contact Cricket and ask them why the sms.cricketwireless.com sends messages in MMS format instead of SMS and if they have an SMTP SMS address?

vi0cs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue and it appears it is cricket wireless does not support sms to mms. PageGate does not have support for a direct MMS paging or way to email out to a phone number using MMS?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both NotePager Pro and PageGate do support the SMTP protocol. I am not, however, sure why messages sent to their SMS/MMS address are blank when they're received and that's a question that Cricket could answer.

vi0cs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, they do not support sms messaging and the conversion does not work. Is there a way to direct MMS messaging.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote the Cricket support website:

Please note: This service is only available to original Cricket (CDMA) customers.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/o/support/plans-and-features/messaging-features/text-messaging.html

For text messaging:

Your email address is yourphonenumber@sms.mycricket.com. For example, a customer with the phone number 123-456-7890 can receive a text message sent to 1234567890@sms.mycricket.com.

For multimedia messaging:

Your email address is yourphonenumber@mms.mycricket.com. For example, a customer with the phone number 123-456-7890 can receive a multimedia message sent to 1234567890@mms.mycricket.com.

So, if sms.mycricket.com isn't delivering the messages to the phone properly, either you aren't an original Cricket (CDMA) customer or you should contact Cricket to inquire about the problem.

vi0cs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not support direct SMS messaging. Is there no way to get MMS messaging out of page gate? Why do I have to do all this research for your software.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the only difference between an MMS message and an SMS message is that an MMS may have media attached to it. Otherwise, they are the same format and style of message that use the same protocols, same command and response sequence and same delivery methods.

PageGate does not support attaching media to text messages and as a result, it technically only support SMS.

Having said that, it appears that Cricket's MMS messaging requires a picture to be attached to the message, and since PageGate does not create images of its text messages before sending them, Cricket's MMS messaging wouldn't be supported.

Again, though, you may want to speak with Cricket directly about this issue as the body of the message containing the text is still being sent by the software as part of the SMTP command and response sequence and we have no way of knowing why that text is being stripped out by the Circket server before it is delivered to the phone.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to go over this from a more technical aspect, regardless of whether a message is sent to the SMS or the MMS address, the base part of the SMTP negotiation sequence is going to be the same. The only difference between an SMS and an MMS SMTP transaction is that an MMS transaction will have additional commands that support sending an attachment.

This is an example of an an SMTP transaction:

Send: Connect <destination>
Receive: 220 <receiving server name>
Send: Ehlo <sending domain>
If Error, Send: Helo <sending domain>
Receive: 250 OK response
Receive: 250 Server Declarations
Send: Mail From: <sender address>
Send: Rcpt To: <Contact address>
Send: DATA
Receive: 354 Acknowledgement
Send: Date and Time stamps, subject line declaration and the text of the message to be delivered.
Send: CRLF.CRLF
Receive: 250 Acknowledgement of receipt and, if supported by the receiving server, delivery confirmation code
Send: QUIT

So, regardless of whether you're sending an SMS or an MMS, this bit of the transaction is going to be the same:
Receive: 354 Acknowledgement
Send: Date and Time stamps, subject line declaration and the text of the message to be delivered.
Send: CRLF.CRLF

If the messages are coming through on the phone without the text that was delivered, then it's being stripped out or lost by the Cricket server. However, as noted in their support site: "This service is only available to original Cricket (CDMA) customers."

Kdorschug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to deal with Cricket for the past two months with no results. Unfortunately I guess I chose the wrong carrier. I have had the Page gate administrator at work trying various settings to no avail. Definitely on the Cricket end. One of the issues I have with Cricket trying to deal with them is every time I call I have to describe the problem....although they have an open case on the subject. I am seriously considering switching carriers simply due to the poor quality of customer service on their end....

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to double check, are you trying to deliver SMTP messages to a Cricket phone?

randybonnette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kdorschug wrote:
I have been trying to deal with Cricket for the past two months with no results. Unfortunately I guess I chose the wrong carrier. I have had the Page gate administrator at work trying various settings to no avail. Definitely on the Cricket end. One of the issues I have with Cricket trying to deal with them is every time I
write my essay today to call I have to describe the problem....although they have an open case on the subject. I am seriously considering switching carriers simply due to the poor quality of customer service on their end....

Agree. I've been trying to solve the issue but number@mms.cricketwireless.net is no longer working. I've tried various combinations of email addresses that I found googling, however, nothing is working. What am I missing? Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: