NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

delivering message through multiple connectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aanders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: delivering message through multiple connectors Reply with quote

I have an existing local paging setup with coverage at a main location. I need to extend this coverage to two satellite locations (far enough away that the main transmitter does not reach.) I am planning to install a secondary transmitter at each location. I can handle the communication links etc.

My problem is as follows: in my testing I was able to set up PageGate with multiple connectors, each with the same carrier. And when I send a test message to that recipient, PG starts communication on both connectors. But it appears that as soon as one of them completes transmission, it aborts communication with the other one. So the message does not get sent through both connectors, which is what I want.

Is there any way to force PageGate to send to the same PIN via multiple connectors and NOT give up after one of them is successful?

The alternatives I could think of are:

* define multiple recipients w/different PINs: not great because I don't want to reprogram receivers for different locations, or send multiple messages if I don't have to (would require upstream software changes)

* define multiple recipients w/identical PIN and carrier settings: tried this just to see if it works, but it doesn't seem to have any effect (this option doesn't really make sense anyways, the recipients are otherwise identical so the message only gets sent once)

* define multiple recipients w/identical PIN and different carriers: this seems like it might work - i.e. if they both have PIN 100 but carriers are different (and thus, different connectors) it should be delivered to both? It works IF I select both "names" in the GUI client - BUT I don't know if this will actually work with SNPP or something that only uses the PIN and not the "name" string; if I use sendpage.exe to input through GetASCII I need to use the "name" and run it twice. So it could be a workaround (but still require upstream software changes)

* Use a group: if I have recipients w/same PIN and different carriers, I can hit them both with one message if they are in a group, BUT I'm not sure I can target groups via SNPP (it is critical that whatever setup I use must work via SNPP)

Any other suggestions / comments would be appreciated... thanks!

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last option of using groups is the only real way to make it work the way you want.

For example you would want to create 3 carriers (one for each transmitter location). Then for pin 1234, you would probably want to create 3 recipients: 12341, 12342, and 12343. Then setup a group named 1234. Any message addressed to 1234 would then go to the three recipients (which would all have the same PIN/ID).

I don't see how SNPP would have any problems with this setup.

OzCom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only can you target them with SNPP - PageGate has the ability to use alphanumeric characters in the ID/PIN field. For example - in many of the systems I install and maintain have all my devices set up as recipients. All those devices are members of the group "osgood_aaron". When I want to generate a test to that system, I can use my local PageGate to send SNPP to the target PageGate and enter "osgood_aaron" as the PIN. The target PageGate receives the message and distributes a copy to each of my devices

Last edited by OzCom on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aanders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was not aware that it would accept alphanumerics in the PIN field via SNPP. I will give that a try, from my initial testing w/GUI client it seems like that would achieve what I need. Thanks for the replies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: