NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Telstra Mobile Broadband and SMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Telstra Mobile Broadband and SMS Reply with quote

Hi,

We currently have SolarWinds Orion and want to enable SMS alerting. We are not able to connect a USB or serial modem into the server but we have a Telstra Mobile Broadband 4G USB dongle plugged into a workstation with the PageGate evaluation installed.

The plan was to have Orion email the workstation with the contents of SMS message and then have PageGate forward the SMS to the appropriate help desk member(s) mobile phone. However, the PageGate software presents a somewhat overwhelming number of options and I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

I have a couple questions for now:
1) Has anyone had any experience using a similar Telstra dongle? It shows up in Modems as a "Sierra Wireless WWAN Modem".
2) What would be the best method of sending the SMS messages? Location is Australia and will only require SMS messaging to mobile phones within Australia.

Any assistance would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't personally done a setup with a Telestra dongle but if it supports the AT command set, is showing up as a modem and has an SMS plan, PageGate can use it.

Here's what you'll want to do:

1) Open the PG Admin.

2) Go to Connectors - Connector 1 - Settings.

3) Set the "Serial Port" field to match the COM port of the device.

4) Click on Apply.

5) Find the carriers section, right click on it and left click on Add.

6) Give the carrier a name. It doesn't really matter what you name the carrier but I'd recommend something straightforward like Texting or SMS or something like that.

7) Set the Protocol to: GSM-AT

8) Set the following:

Baud Rate: 115200
Parity: None
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Init String: AT+CSQ (you'll have to type that one in)

9) Click on Apply.

Now that you have the carrier in, you can start adding recipients to it:

1) Right click on Recipient, left click on Add.

2) Give the Recipient a Name.

3) In the ID/PIN field, enter the mobile number (no spaces or dashes) of the person you want to reach.

4) Click on Apply.

Immrec

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuth,

what OS is the workstation running? we tried to plug a Telstra USB dongle into our PageGate server running Server 2008 but it wouldn't recognise the dongle, XP has no such dramas.

We have a GSM modem (IntelliMax MS-2015) with a Telstra SIM without any issues. I'm currently checking a few Network management programs, and at the moment have Spiceworks sending out SMS's to me via Pagegate.

PM me your email address and I'll see what I can do to help you out. Took me awhile to work out how everything hung together, JH from tech support has been an ENORMOUS help to me.

Barry (Immrec)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: