NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Verizon SMTP and 160 Character Message Limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougK911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Verizon SMTP and 160 Character Message Limit Reply with quote

Greetings:

I'm fairly certain I know what the answer will be, but thought I'd inquire with the forum users and Notepage folks... This is in regards to Verizon SMTP (10digitphonenumber@vtext.com) messaging, to VZW phones (not pagers):

Confirm that there are no viable workarounds to the 160-character message limit? (Other than the sender breaking their longer messages up into several discrete messages, of course).

I'm aware of the "Enterprise Messaging" service that VZW offers, but we're not a candidate for that, and most of the devices to which we are sending messages are "employee owned", and not on the Company's VZW billing account anyways...

For some reason, I thought I recalled someone talking about (or claiming that) longer messages could be sent via SMTP and then the carrier would break them up into multiple <160 character messages, but wasn't sure if this was actually possible or not, and if so, if it required the customer (phone owner) to set this up with VZW in advance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips you might have...

Doug

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using SMTP to send messages to your Verizon phones, that 160 character limit isn't something you can get around. If you're registered with their EMAG and can use the SNPP or WCTP hosts, you can set PageGate to break up long messages in to multiple messages and that'll work just fine. It will, however, not work with the SMTP host. The second data block will always be rejected.

DougK911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, and pretty much as I expected. Confirm "EMAG" - Enterprise Messaging something-something? I will ask our Verizon Wireless account rep if he can hook us up without having to commit to a 100 devices!

Tech Support wrote:
If you're using SMTP to send messages to your Verizon phones, that 160 character limit isn't something you can get around. If you're registered with their EMAG and can use the SNPP or WCTP hosts, you can set PageGate to break up long messages in to multiple messages and that'll work just fine. It will, however, not work with the SMTP host. The second data block will always be rejected.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the acronym stands for but I emailed you the document I was provided with information about the system.

DougK911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much - I appreciate the info!

Tech Support wrote:
I'm not sure what the acronym stands for but I emailed you the document I was provided with information about the system.

Dan@MetroSafe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming by your Username that you are with a 911 Office? If so and you have a Verizon account to attach to you can get the Enterprise Messaging for free to help sending messages to their devices. Contact Verizon and they should be able to set you up.

EMA/MetroSafe
DougK911

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan@MetroSafe wrote:
I am assuming by your Username that you are with a 911 Office? If so and you have a Verizon account to attach to you can get the Enterprise Messaging for free to help sending messages to their devices. Contact Verizon and they should be able to set you up.

You are correct, I am, but did not think VZW would grant us access to the Enterprise Messaging product, since we are not their customer (we use another carrier for our official City mobile phones). But, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, so thank you for the info!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: