NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Notepager Pro not detecting Multimodem GPRS MTCBA-G-U-F4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel_K

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Notepager Pro not detecting Multimodem GPRS MTCBA-G-U-F4 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have installed Notepager Pro on a Windows 2008 RC2 server but cannot get it to detect my modem.

Since some forums mentioned compatibility issues, Notepager has been reinstalled.
* Run as administrator during installation.
* Installed to :\Notepager Pro
* Setup to run it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility guide + running as Administrator
* The software was installed as Administrator.

Regarding the modem.
* Latest drivers installed for 64 bit.
* Modem is seen on COM3 by Windows and Putty.
* Putty can open a 115200/8/1/None connection and send a sms,
- "AT+CMGS="Phone Number"
- Writing message then CTRL+Z

So...why does Notepager Pro refuse to detect the modem? As I understand it, the Multitech USB modems are commonly used in combination with NotePager Pro....

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

OzCom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MultiTech cellular modems are commonly used with PageGate for reliable SMS - not NotePager Pro. PageGate has a far more robust outbound delivery methodology.

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel_K

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A direct attached GSM modem to the surveillance node should in my opinion be quite reliable, if the software works as expected.

I don't get any answers from the notepage support why the modem isn't recognized.

/Daniel

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the current version of NPP has problems with a few USB devices. The next release will support more USB devices. PageGate, on the other hand, doesn't have any of the issues with USB devices.

If Windows has assigned your device a COM port greater than 16, you may want try to change it to a lower number. COM ports over 16 are virtual ports and if you can find the corresponding 'real' port that they function on, it will work. Also, sometimes Windows lies about the COM port number. You may want to try other values to see if the modem responds. Finally, some GSM devices only work at 115200 baud. Make sure the device and NPP are set to use that baud rate.

Daniel_K

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer.

The modem got COM port 3 assigned to it and Putty could easily connect to it.

When will next version be available? You don't supply fixes to the current release?

NotePage Sales
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the problems with getting this working.

Support for USB devices in NotePager Pro is being worked on. There is unfortunately not a release date for this or the next version.

OzCom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, when NotePager Pro was designed, the VAST majority of "paging" was accomplished via TAP, SNPP, and WCTP. The concept of using an attached cellular modem is a fairly recent development. NotePager Pro is designed for a low volume, single PC installation (one of the reasons why the cost is so low). PageGate, on the other hand, was designed to be a far more robust, high volume, networked messaging solution. As such, it includes far more comprehensive support for newer methodologies, such as cellular modem communications. I have personally installed hundreds of PageGate systems, most with multiple cellular modems, and do not have the issues associated with NotePager Pro. I also install NotePager Pro along with most of my PageGate systems to act as an out of band monitoring system to notify SysAdmin of any issues with PageGate.

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: