NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

PageGate v5 database errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donb01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: PageGate v5 database errors Reply with quote

I have the original version 5 of PageGate, and it has been running a couple of years in its current configuration without needing any help, adding and deleting recipients, etc as I go.

Today I had several users complaining of Fatal Database Error 3343 - unrecognized database format when they started their computers, and I later find out they have been getting messages about "Rebuilding Database" on occasion too.

So I went to the server, hit Stop, ran monitor and made sure nothing was green, then went into services to see nothing was running.

Copied the whole PGDatabase directory to a backup spot, wen into PG Admin, Database, Tools, Rebuild database and got "Database Rebuild Failed" or something along those lines.

Started PG again and the clients are now connecting, but.... Something must be rotten in Denmark....

Don't I remember there being some kind of command line rebuild thing you guys had me do once?

In the database status screen I have:
size 5188, carriers 9, recip 318, group 9, dis grp 5, mess 11373, pend mess 1.

I have a BMP of the error message:

http://www.donsworld.org/PGDatabase1210.bmp

What do you suggest I do? I would assume I need to reindex everything, but it doesn't seem to be cooperating. I might need to purge some old stuff too, but don't know how to do that either....

THANKS!

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there are a couple of things we can do but I'd like to check a few things first. Go into the PageGate program directory and go into the properties of the pagegate.exe, then go under the Version tab. Let me know what file version you're using, please.

Donb01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 5.0.0.2

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that is one of the original builds of PageGate version 5. There are several, several things that have been changed since that build, some of which were specifically about database stability and structure. So, before we go any further, I definitely recommend updating both the PageGate Server and Client to the latest build of the program.

1) Make a backup of the pagegate.mdb file (typically located in c:\pagegatedata\database\). This is the single most important thing you can do before you update.

2) Stop PageGate. Make sure that none of the services or programs are running. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that nothing in regards to PageGate is running.

3) Browse into the PageGate program directory (typically c:\program files\pagegate)

4) Move or delete ALL of the .exe files from this directory.

5) Download the latest installation file for PageGate from our website: http://www.notepage.net (click on the download option under the PageGate section in the center of the page)

6) Run the pgsetup.exe file you downloaded in step 5.

7) The ONLY option you want to run is the "Install PageGate Server" option.

8) Unless you need to change the installation directory, you can click on Next until the installation finishes.

Unless it asks you to reboot, you really don't need to. After you finish the installation, run the PageGate Admin. I can't remember if we changed the actual database structure since that build, so it may ask you to update the database. If it does, tell it yes.

To update the client, take the pgsetup.exe file from step 5 and run it on the workstation(s). Then run the PageGate Client install directly overtop of the existing install.

Donb01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have over 250 clients scattered across 7 buildings and the program is in constant use in a healthcare environment. Because unfortunately you guys broke taboo and made a database structure change right after a major version release. I started rolling out the program en-masse right after I got the upgrade and went live - after that it was too late to make changes without having to go back and touch all those clients... Because the old client won't read the new database I cannot just upgrade everything and there is no way short of magic that I can instantaneously upgrade 250 clients to prevent the mass panic attack that would occur if clients stopped working - especially since it took me 2 years to roll them all out. Then the new client won't read the old database so it's not like I can go out and update all the clients first and then do the update to the main program. I am very stressed and very overwhelmed right now because of other things besides this issue and all I need to do right now is to reindex/rebuild the current database or fix whatever bug it seems to have up its bonnet.

The only other option I have is to do a second, completely separate installation of PageGate (on the same box) and copy/upgrade the database to that, and then go out and switch clients to the new edition as I have time, and set up all new ones to the new version.

Unfortunately I'm willing to bet I won't able to run 2 separate copies of PG at the same time on the same box due to licensing issues, OR, that both of them can't be setup to dial out on the same modems....

If the above works that would be one possible solution.

THANKS!

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to update, or can't, you may continue to run into issues like this in the future.

What you might try, just for the time being, is shut the PageGate Server down and open the database in MS Access. Do a Compact and Repair in Access.

Alternatively, you could go to the Database - Settings section of the PG Admin and run a manual purge, then try to do the database rebuild.

However, just to reiterate, these database issues will continue to happen if you don't update.

Donb01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an answer for the question of whether I can run 2 copies of PG at the same time (different program and database dirs) on the same box? That might help me update.

Which version of MS Access should I use? I have read files in any version, but if I'm going to actually manipulate the data I want to make sure Access doesn't "do me a favor" and convert the data to the new format.

I understand about the potential for continued problems, just need to try and resolve the immediate problem.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use any version of MS Access. It'll open it Access 2000 compatibility mode or I suppose you could just open it in Access 2000, if you have it.

NotePage Sales
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For running 2 copies of PG at the same time, requires 2 different Registration Keys.

If a quote is needed, please email sales at notepage . com the PageGate Serial Number.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: