NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Enable GUI service, but hide recipient on client?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizardkng

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Enable GUI service, but hide recipient on client? Reply with quote

Hello people!

I have an issue which is causing some real problems for us...a 911 dispatch center.

We have a few hundred recipients (Fire, EMS, Police, etc), some broken up into a few dozen different groups (Fire departments, etc), and some not...

The problem is that with so many recipients, enabling them all in the GUI client makes the GUI client list huge, and frankly almost unmanageable. The thing is, we dont ever page the vast majority of our recipients individually, 99.9% of the time they get paged as a group (fire departments). And Id venture to say that most all our recipients have NEVER been paged individually, and never will be, theyre always paged as a group.

But the issue is that if I uncheck the GUI client checkbox for a recipient, while it removes them from the GUI client list of recipients (what I want), it also prevents pages that are sent to their group from being sent to them (what I dont want: interface not enabled for this recipient). If I enable GUI client for a recipient, the pages sent to their group get sent to them, but it also puts them in the GUI client list (what I don't want)

What Id like to do is be able to enable the GUI client interface for all recipients (so that they can all be paged from the client *by paging their group*), but not have all those same recipients show up in the list *individually* in the GUI client.

Example:

Recipient Bob has GUI client checked and is a member of Group A, which also has GUI client checked.

Paging group A from the client sends Bob and the rest of his group a message.

Removing the GUI client checkbox from Bob removes Bob from the GUI client list, but also stops his messages from being sent when group A is paged. (Error: interface not enabled for this recipient)

I want to keep the number of recipients in the GUI client list as low as possible, without blocking their messages. So I suppose what Im asking is is it possible to "enable the GUI client interface" for a recipient, but not have the recipient show up in the GUI client?

I want to be able to have a recipient in a group, have the group GUI client checked so that the group shows in the client and all members of the group get messages, but not have to have the individual recipient have GUI client checked (or otherwise show in the GUI list)

Sorry so long winded...just wanted to explain the problem in as much detail as possible.

PS. I tried messing with Display groups but I couldn't seem to get it to do what I wanted, or didn't know what I was doing :)

Thanks for your time and attention!

OzCom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have implemented PageGate in many public safety dispatch centers and agencies that have the same issue. Proper planing and display group implementation solves it.

EXAMPLE:

2500 recipients

Dispatch Display Group - all are members
Fire Display group - Fire staff members
Police Display group - Police members

Lock specific clients to specific display groups
Fire stations can only message fire members
Police PC's can only message Police members
Dispatch staff can message anyone

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lizardkng

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So display groups will do it?

Hmm, dunno what Im doing wrong then...

By your post (which I appreciate btw) it seems you are using different clients on different PCs to message different groups. In other words you have a client at the police station, one at a fire station and one in dispatch.

We have 4 in dispatch, and no remote clients.

I think I was under the impression that display groups had something to do with who was currently logged onto the PC the client was running on, whereas in our situation all users use the same windows logon (autologon per our CAD vendor), and I dont want to restrict who can see recipient Bob based on logon, i just want to remove Bob from the GUI client altogether.

Ill re-read the manual on display groups and give it another shot.

Thanks!

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Display groups is definitely the function you'll want to use. The display groups are ways for you to specify who can see who in the PageGate Client.

So, let's say we have five recipients: Sales, Tech, Jim, Ann, and Matthew.

and let's also say we have four workstations. If workstations one and two are supposed to see sales and tech but not Jim, Ann, and Matthew, then you would create a display group (you could name it whatever you want) and add just Sales and Tech to the display group. You would then go into the settings of the GUI Client on those two workstations and set the display group to whatever display group you just created.

Then, let's say that on the other two workstations, that they should only be able to see Jim, Ann, and Matthew. You would create a second display group, add Jim, Ann, and Matthew as members of this second display group, and set these two clients to use this display group.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: