NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

SMTP failing after ISP transition to GMAIL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnprandle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: SMTP failing after ISP transition to GMAIL Reply with quote

All of a sudden my outgoing pages via SMTP are failing. I am using a registered version of NotePager Pro on a XP Home SP3 system. When I run the connection wizard to test the protocols, SMTP now fails, but SNPP passes and WCTP fails. My ISP (TDS.NET) has recently transitioned to providing email service via Google's GMAIL.COM server and my email service via GMAIL.COM is working, using my incoming email address of JOHN.RANDLE@TDS.NET with an outgoing SMTP server address of SMTP.GMAIL.COM on port 465. I have tried setting my relay server address to SMTP.GMAIL.COM:465 and setting my username to JOHN.RANDLE@TDS.NET and it is not working. I have also tried using directly DNS addressees of 216.165.129.158 and 216.170.153.146 as provided by the TDS.NET trouble desk but those do not work either.
HELP!!!! Where do I go from here?[/b]

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would, send me this log file from the program: c:\program files\notepager pro\npp.log

The address to send it to is support at notepage dot com

johnprandle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done .. it is on its way. Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can offer.

andrewmason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: SMTP failing after ISP transition to GMAIL Reply with quote

johnprandle wrote:
All of a sudden my outgoing pages via SMTP are failing. I am using a registered version of NotePager Pro on a XP Home SP3 system. When I run the connection wizard to test the protocols, SMTP now fails, but SNPP passes and WCTP fails. My ISP (TDS.NET) has recently transitioned to providing email service via Google's GMAIL.COM server and my email service via GMAIL.COM is working, using my incoming email address of JOHN.RANDLE@TDS.NET with an outgoing SMTP server address of SMTP.GMAIL.COM on port 465. I have tried setting my relay server address to SMTP.GMAIL.COM:465 and setting my username to JOHN.RANDLE@TDS.NET and it is not working. I have also tried using directly DNS addressees of 216.165.129.158 and 216.170.153.146 as provided by the TDS.NET trouble desk but those do not work either.
HELP!!!! Where do I go from here?[/b]

There is a detail help at gmail.com for setting up POP and SMTP the guide provide step by step help from creating and setting the server with there ports. the guide is available on there site and you can avail. this will help to solve your issue

johnprandle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 'andrewmason' .. unfortunately the problem seems to be that my particular flavor of gmail (courtesy of my ISP .. TDS.NET) requires that I use authenticated sessions, specifically SSL and TLS in my email client (Thunderbird) and this is somehow being extended to outgoing Notepager Pro SMTP transmissions. Techsupport @ Notepager acknowlwdges tht this is the problem. If you have discovered a work around, please give me some more specifics as I have had to revert to total use of email in lieu of Notepager Pro.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for now, there isn't a workaround for this issue. Currently, NotePager Pro doesn't support SSL for SMTP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: