NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Problem with SMTP and Sprint PCS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rellis73

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Problem with SMTP and Sprint PCS Reply with quote

We are a public safety agency and use text messaging as a supplement to normal tone pagers when dispatching our volunteer fire and rescue memebers. This has turned into an issue with Sprint PCS recently. We are now receiving from their SMTP server a message stating 'too many connections from your host'. I have tried everything I know to talk to their customer service and their 'technical department' but no one seems to know what I am referring to. Has anyone else had this problem and who did you talk to to get it fixed or is there some other way to deliver these message to Sprint phones without going through SMTP?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprint, recently, has been becoming a bit more... limiting... in their acceptance of SMTP messages that don't originate from an SMTP Server. They've greylisted entire IP ranges, are refusing DNS connections from entire ISP's, etc. What you're running into is that Sprint has decided to limit the number of DNS connections that can be accepted within a given timeframe (not that they've told anyone what the timeframe is).

My best recommendation is that you find an SMTP Server (either a local Exchange server or your ISP's) that you can use to deliver your SMTP based messages to Sprint. If either host requires Authentication, you'll definitely need to upgrade to PageGate version 5 (if you aren't already using it) because version 4 can't handle SMTP authentication.

drea2711

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be best to move away from SMTP messaging, as it has these restrictions, and look to an aggregator which has an SMPP connection directly to our data center; or SNPP on CDMA (which is coming in the Q1 2008).

OzCom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drea2711 - can you email me directly off list please?

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OzCom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off a conference call with some senior Sprint engineering folks: they advised that ALL Sprint CDMA phones can now be accesses via TAP. The Sprint TAP# is 888-656-1727

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cstanley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Sprint PCS Reply with quote

My Agency also uses Sprint PCS phones. I recently migrated to a new server and Sprint is refusing connections from my new IP address to their SMTP servers. We do not have the ability to send TAP messages. Can someone let me know how I can work around the SMTP with a little more detail.

cstanley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tech Support"]...My best recommendation is that you find an SMTP Server (either a local Exchange server or your ISP's) that you can use to deliver your SMTP based messages to Sprint. If either host requires Authentication, you'll definitely need to upgrade to PageGate version 5 (if you aren't already using it) because version 4 can't handle SMTP authentication.[/quote]

Can you tell me how this could be accomplished? I tried to set my GetMail to relay all mail to my local Exchange server and I cannot get it to work. My IS dept has configured the server to allow connections from my server with no change. I am using PageGate v5.0.6

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would, please email your Connector log(s) to support at notepage dot com so I can have a look at the response your Exchange Server is giving PageGate when it tries the connection.

cstanley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would forward this information I received directly from Sprint support.

"I did some research on the issue and it appears that because of the increasing level of spam coming to the Sprint network our internal team is blacklisting IP addresses which they think has the remote possibility of being Spam. Quite a few customers are experiencing this on the public paging platform as a result of which there is a 2 week lag if not more in getting a wrong blacklisted IP address reverted back to a white listed IP address..."

They have offered to come out and discuss some 'other paging options' with us, but I am sure those won't be free.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: