NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Linking to SQL Server...how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpellerin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Linking to SQL Server...how? Reply with quote

I understand that you should be able to link some of the access database tables to SQL table. I have done this with the "users" table and mostly it works... the problem I have is that I can't add groups through the Admin UI. I can add users, but not groups. This is especially confusing since the two actions use the same table: "users".

I know tech support can't really help with this... so if there's anyone out there succesfully linking to SQL tables, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Dana

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Linking to SQL Server...how? Reply with quote

What happens when you try to add a group in PG Admin? Does it appear to work, but then not have the group, or do you get an error? If you get an error, what is it?

dpellerin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work! Apparently PGAdmin was trying to insert a null into a column with type 'bit'. Once I set all the bit type columns to default to 0, everything is working.

So now I have the users and group tables moved to SQL. I'm still having trouble with the message table though. Seems that the Scheduler doesn't want to start when that table has been moved to SQL. There's got to be an issue with a default value or data type. This one is hard though because the program is not returning errors... it just doesn't work. Even ODBC trace isn't returning useful data. So I'm not sure what the issue is yet. But I'll tweak some more.

It would be tremendously helpful to have somebody who's done this to share thier table settings here. I'll gladly share mine when I get things nailed down. But there are a lot of little differences between Access and SQL and it's really hard trying to find the problems with no error messages or debugging to rely on.

If there's one feature I'm sure everyone would love to see in future versions it's "real" SQL support. :)

Dana

dpellerin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm at my wits end. I can make our paging app work by using the ascii module... but I'd really like to be able to pull reports off of the messaging table through SQL Server. But I can't get the message table to work.

Every time I link the message table to SQL Server, the scheduler stops working. It doesn't throw any errors or show any useful logging information, it just sits there and says "running cleanup routine", and none of the other modules (ascii, dialers) start.

I realize you guys don't support this.... but do you have any info on what the scheduler does with the messages table on start up? If I just knew what it was trying to do I think I could nail this down.

Thx

Dana

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Linking to SQL Server...how? Reply with quote

During the cleanup routine, among other things, the scheduler scans the messages table and tries to fix any illegal data in the any of the record's fields. It also resets the 'lock' fields for any messages that are locked. I don't think either of these should cause the problem you describe. However if the table is somehow locked exclusively by what you are trying, I guess I could see a problem, but we would expect some sort of error returned.

Probably not much help. Sorry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: