NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Pagegate and Getweb part2 - security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonaldFrancis

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Pagegate and Getweb part2 - security Reply with quote

I have Getweb working well now. Its a very nice light client.

But I have 1 issue with it, is there anyway that is known to force the html page to grab the logged in user name from the person making the page?

Another words just like the GUI client does where the from field is the %USERNAME% variable?

I have several hundred users who when left to their own devices can act like children. The FROM field keeps them in check.

Thanks again,
Donnie

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any way to do that.

HTTP is a plain text protocol. I think there would security implications if usernames were available to any webserver you happen to connect to.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pagegate and Getweb part2 - security Reply with quote

[quote="DonaldFrancis"]
Another words just like the GUI client does where the from field is the %USERNAME% variable?

I have several hundred users who when left to their own devices can act like children. The FROM field keeps them in check.
[/quote]

We had similar issues. My response was to write a full-fledge .ASP based front-end for the PageGate client that requires the users to log-in, it populates the display list on who they can page based on who they are, and gives a nice front end for viewing sent messages, etc. It also pre-populates the message with their username from logging in.

If you or anyone on your team has experience with doing ASP pages, it isn't that hard.

--dave

DonaldFrancis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the info Dave. Unfortunately I nor does any of my staff have that in our skillset. I have do some light scripting and small UNIX programs (very small) and wirte HTML but that's about the extent of it.

Does your front-end record or put in the page the user from which it came?

Is it possible you would be willing to donate the code to me in the hopes I can edit it for our use? I work for a mid-sized police dept in Louisiana and the code would never get used beyond our confines.

Thanks much,
Donald

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: