NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Installation Problems on Windows 2000 Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstanley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Installation Problems on Windows 2000 Server Reply with quote

I am trying to install my PageGate v4 onto a new server. I followed all of the installation instructions, but the PageGate services are not installed. I rebooted the server, without being prompted, and still do not show the services installed. I've copied my database back into the installation folder and I am able to run PageGate Admin, but the logs show that the program is unable to locate the database. However, I am able to see my database information such as Recipients and Groups. The PageGate Server will not open either. I have updated all of my service packs on the server.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Installation Problems on Windows 2000 Server Reply with quote

Is the database on the new server's local hard drive? If not you will have to create an account with both 'logon as service' rights, local admin rights, and rights to the network folder that contains the database. You will then have to use this account when you switch PageGate to run as a service.

cstanley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is installed locally. I am using an administrator account to install the program and information, so it should not be a permissions issue. If it is permissions on the database, why are the services not installing. They no longer show in my list of services under my Administrator Programs.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Problems on Windows 2000 Server Reply with quote

Try switching PageGate back to run as an application. You can do this in PG Admin under 'Program' -> 'Settings'.

Restart PageGate after making the change and make sure it is operating correctly as an application.

Then go back into PG Admin (with the PageGate server running) and switch it back to run as a service. Your best bet is to leave the credentials blank when asked for them.

cstanley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching the program to run as application didn't work. I had to install the program to my C: drive in order for the services to load. I have partitions installed on the drive for programs and data to keep them separate from the operating system. I was under the impression that I could still do this with PageGate. Now, however, the software loaded and sent all pending pages then the Scheduler and the Dialer stopped and will not restart.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Problems on Windows 2000 Server Reply with quote

You are running into some system security problems. Odds are the Windows System account doesn't have all the necessary rights to your other partitions, only the C-Drive partition.

I think your best bet at this point would be to give our tech support department a call. I think there are too many variables at this point for a quick answer in the forum. I believe most of your problems are security-settings related, but am not sure of the current state of your PageGate server. Please give us a call (781) 829-0500

cstanley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the security issue. When I opened the services through Windows I was able to see that it was not recognizing the logon account. I manually changed this setting in all of the services and now it seems to be running. Thanks again for all of your help.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Problems on Windows 2000 Server Reply with quote

Great news!

Could you just double-check one thing in the services panel? Of the PageGate services, only the 'pagegate' service should be set to 'automatic'. The rest should remain as 'manual'. Often times users make the mistake of changing them all to 'automatic'.

cstanley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I made sure only the server was set to Automatic. I ran into this issue the first time I tried to install the program a few years ago. Just to let you know, the reason I had a problem with the user logon to run the services is because I only entered the username without the domain. If you enter 'domain\username' it will set the permissions correctly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: