NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Wordperfect 2002 installer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VerdugoFire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Wordperfect 2002 installer? Reply with quote

We are having a very strange problem with the client and I am hoping you can help fix it. The client software works fine under the administrator account. However, under Power User accounts when it starts to run a Word Perfect 2002 installer pops up and continously errors out. If I uninstall wordperfect it works fine, but Word Perfect is required to be on these computers. I cannot make all the users administrators because these PCs are used for dispatching 911 by rotating shifts and so security is very important. Do you have any idea why this may be happening?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Wordperfect 2002 installer? Reply with quote

What happens if you are logged into the system as a power user, browse to the PageGate Client program folder and run the 'pgc.exe' file from there?

VerdugoFire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Same thing Reply with quote

The same thing happens. This Wordperfect 2002 Office 2002 pops up and continuously errors out. Once you hit cancel about 5 different time it will stop and the notepage client then comes up.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Wordperfect 2002 installer? Reply with quote

Very interesting.

The PageGate client does not attempt to run any other programs when it is started, so I have to conclude that the WordPerfect program is somehow getting run first. This is starting to sound a bit like the behavior of a virus. Serveral viruses (not sure if that is the correct plural form of virus) will re-assign the behavior of programs with a .exe extension to run their code first, and then the intended executable (please don't read this as an accusation that WP is a virus). However this doesn't explain why things work when you are logged in as an Admin, unless the virus can successfuly do what it wants when it has admin rights, but fails and show the weird WP stuff without enough rights.

I don't know how this would relate to anything, but try deleting all the temporary files on your system. There may be a partial installer program left over in a temp folder that is somehow being started by Windows.

What happens if you try to re-install the PageGate Client while logged in as a power user instead of an Adminstrator? It may give some hints.

VerdugoFire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: tried it Reply with quote

I have installed the program as a poweruser, which required me to increase the rights on 16 files in the system 32 folder. The same problem still occured. I submitted this problem to Corel. I will post here again if they are able to provide a solution or if I somehow come up with one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: