NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

odd database corruption problem this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: odd database corruption problem this weekend Reply with quote

We have been using Pagegate for over a year now and I just had a bad problem occur this past Saturday that I have not seen before. A person using the GUI client on their PC attempted to send a page to 13 recipients (no groups). Instead of saying the normal "13 Pending" at the bottom it said "302 Pending" ! The JET database crashed and kept giving us 3078 Errors about a "messages" table not being present. I tried the database rebuild tool and it would work for a minute then say "Rebuild NOT Successful". Luckily I had a saved copy from 6 mos. back, and even though the current pagegate.mdb was corrupt I could still export the Recipients and Groups to a file and then import them back into then older file to make another "new" database. Also, oddly, the newer db file was 512Kb, while the older (smaller?) one was 768Kb??? Did a chunk of the newer db get purged out with the crash? What could cause the client to turn 13 messages in 302? Thanks,

PS: not related, but can you nest a group within a group when building logical pager groups in Pagegate?

OzCom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Nesting groups Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know about your error but I have had success with "nesting" groups. One application for this in particular is when a person gets text messages on multiple devices (ie: 1 person gets all messages on both pager and cellular). Create 2 recipients (Joe Smith PAGER and Joe Smith PHONE). Then make a group (Joe Smith) and make the 2 recipients members. You can then make the JOE SMITH group a member of other groups

View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: odd database corruption problem this weekend Reply with quote

Database corruption is very rare, but can happen. Sometimes a small error in the database can slowly build for quite some time, and then show up unexpectedly. It wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild your 'new' database, just in case the source of the problem has been around for some time and actually exists in the old database too.

There is a database utility shipped with PageGate called jetcomp.exe. You will find it in the PageGate program folder. It can sometimes rebuild databases that PG Admin can't. It may be worth a try.

Hardware failures, Operating System crashes, and unexpected power loss can all cause database problems. The best thing you can do is keep a backup copy of your PageGate database (pagegate.mdb) on another computer.

In regards to groups: nesting groups is fine. The only thing you have to be carefull of is not to create a circular group reference. For example, don't make group A a member of group B, and group B a member of group A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: