NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Email server error message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Email server error message Reply with quote

I am using PageGate 4.0 for paging as well as an email server for our business. Just recently, when I try to send an email through PageGate, I get the following error message.

“Task ‘myemailacct – Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC68): ‘The server responded: 450 Too Many Active SMTP Sessions. Please try again later.”

This just started happening and does not happen all the time but enough to cause concern. When I watch the PG Monitor, I don’t see any unusual traffic. This is causing some email pages to be delayed for an hour or more.

Do you think someone is trying to hijack my email server for relaying messages? Is there a way I can monitor the SMTP traffic on my network?

I have Norton AV with all the latest updates and scanned my server yesterday.

Thanks,

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Email server error message Reply with quote

Where do you get the error message? It doesn't look like a PageGate error.

If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, go into your services and make sure the Microsoft SMTP server isn't running.

jayman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error is NOT PageGate. The error is reported to me via my email client, Outlook, when it cannot send the email because the email server is busy.

The SMTP service is turned off on the computer running PageGate.

I was hoping you may be familiar with this. Any advice on how to monitor SMTP traffic or troubleshoot why I may have this error?

There is nothing else running on the PageGate server. It is WinXP totally dedicated to email.

jayman

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Email server error message Reply with quote

I'm sure there are utilities to sniff SMTP traffic, but I am not familiar with any of them. Windows, not being perfect, may have some hung-up IP sockets or something. Have you tried rebooting the server?

How many people typically are using PageGate for their email server? I guess I'm asking how many people do you think would be sending a message with their Outlook client, at the same time.

jayman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only have 4 computers hooked up to the internet. We only use if for email and occasional browsing. I will try another direction to find an answer.

No need to respond to this post.

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: