NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Starting Dialer / GetWeb / Scheduler question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Starting Dialer / GetWeb / Scheduler question Reply with quote

First of all, let me say that it the quick technical support that the PageGate Support staff offers reflects VERY well on the company in general. Such speedy responses are associated with companies that take good care of their customer base.

We are nearing our evaluation uses of the PageGate software, and I was put in charge of getting the application to work with our exisiting setup. Right now everythign SEEMS setup properly but I have a few issues that I would appreciate any knowledge on.

1. What is the scheduler and what does it do? Is it required for the Dialers to work? (We tried to start a Dialer and it's log reported that it couldn't sync with the scheduler)

2. We've tried to START Dialer 1 (which is synced up with a Carrier), but as many times as we tell it to start, it doesnt (even after multiple refreshes). What are the common reasons why Dialers don't start? We've checked our Modem (56k external US Robotics) and did a communication test with it and it's fine.

3. Does the SERIAL PORT coincide with the COM port the modem is working off of? The modem is on COM1, so does that mean we use Serial Port 1?

4. I was misinformed about what method we're using (I thought we were gonna use GetEmail, but my supervisor said that it's best that we use GetWeb) When I setup the GetWeb Interface, I noticed that it placed:

webgate.exe
unique.ndx
webgate.usr

into the CGI directory. What are these files and how do I use them? We have ActiveState's ActivePERL running on IIS 5.0 (Win2K) and though we're running primary pages on ASP, we have a CGI-BIN folder for our BBS system.

Can you explain how (if it is possible) that I go from an ASP page, use the webgate.exe (if I'm supposed to) and send the page? I assume I can send data through a form POST or passing variables in the URL to the EXE and it'll hit the PageGate Server and do with the data what it will. If this is how it works, great, but if no, could you please explain how? (Especially if it IS possible to use an ASP based solution to utilize the Webgate.exe program)

Aside from this, we have been most pleased with PageGate's ease of use and setup. If all goes well, we will be purchasing licenses for the WebGate and the appopriate Pager License on Monday. Thank you for the help.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Starting Dialer / GetWeb / Scheduler question Reply with quote

>1. What is the scheduler and what does it do? Is it required for the Dialers to work? (We >tried to start a Dialer and it's log reported that it couldn't sync with the scheduler)

All messages pass through the scheduler, it not only schedules messges marked for delivery in the future, but also schedules which dialers will service which carriers and when. In short, it must run for PageGate to work.

>2. We've tried to START Dialer 1 (which is synced up with a Carrier), but as many times as >we tell it to start, it doesnt (even after multiple refreshes). What are the common reasons >why Dialers don't start? We've checked our Modem (56k external US Robotics) and did a >communication test with it and it's fine.

Two reasons that come to mind are:
1. It isn't configured to run on this server. In PG Admin check under 'Program' -> 'Settings' and make sure the 'Dialer1' box is checked.
2. The evaluation license has temporarily timed out. Try shutting down all of PageGate and restarting it.

>3. Does the SERIAL PORT coincide with the COM port the modem is working off of? The >modem is on COM1, so does that mean we use Serial Port 1?

Yes. 'Serial Port' means COM port. In your case it should be set to 1.

>4. I was misinformed about what method we're using (I thought we were gonna use >GetEmail, but my supervisor said that it's best that we use GetWeb) When I setup the >GetWeb Interface, I noticed that it placed:
>
>webgate.exe
>unique.ndx
>webgate.usr
>
>into the CGI directory. What are these files and how do I use them? We have ActiveState's >ActivePERL running on IIS 5.0 (Win2K) and though we're running primary pages on ASP, >we have a CGI-BIN folder for our BBS system.

The above files are placed wherever you tell PageGate the CGI folder is (scripts and cgi-bin are common locations). The webgate.exe file is the CGI that would be called from a webpage to send a message to the PageGate engine. The webgate.usr file is used by the webgate.exe CGI to verify the validity of a recipient before accepting a message. Some uses of the CGI don't actually use this file, but it must exist anyways. The unique.ndx is simply where the webgate CGI keeps a unique counter it uses to create unique filenames for its temporary files.

Can you explain how (if it is possible) that I go from an ASP page, use the webgate.exe (if I'm supposed to) and send the page? I assume I can send data through a form POST or passing variables in the URL to the EXE and it'll hit the PageGate Server and do with the data what it will. If this is how it works, great, but if no, could you please explain how? (Especially if it IS possible to use an ASP based solution to utilize the Webgate.exe program)

The webgate.exe CGI can accept date with either a POST (typically used with forms) or a GET (data encoded on the URL line) method. The POST method is usualy used by setting the Form's action property. The GET method would look something like this:
http://www.mydomain.com/scripts/webgate.exe?USER=mypager&FRM=me&MSG=This+is+a+test
(note: the above would be on a single line)

Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response.

However we're still having problems with the Dialer. It just isn't starting. Scheduler is now running fine as a NT service (Win2K). Page Gate and the GetWeb are running as well; but Dialer 1 is just giving us some probs.
Here are it's settings:

Init String (we've tried both AUTO and ATE0V1Q0&C1&D2

Carrier - Dave's Communications (Setup in the Carrier area)

Serial - 1 (Modem on COM1)

Direct Connect - No

To my knowledge, all services are running on the LOCAL SYSTEM account (only admins have access to this computer, so access rights shouldn't be an issue)

Is there ANYTHING else we can try to get this working (any possible oversights?) I appreciate the help and look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow. Nevermind about most of that. :) The DIALER 1 services wasn't enabled. How simple.

Ok, with that done and done, I'm checking the Dialer1 logs and it seems to not be establishing connections. See?

========================
11/26/2003 2:47:27 PM Start connection to carrier: Daves_Communications
11/26/2003 2:47:27 PM Connect using TAP protocol
11/26/2003 2:47:27 PM Setting communication parameters
11/26/2003 2:47:28 PM Attempting to reset modem
11/26/2003 2:47:31 PM Modem reset
11/26/2003 2:47:31 PM Auto detecting dialer init string
11/26/2003 2:47:33 PM Attempting to send dialer init string
11/26/2003 2:47:35 PM Dialer init string sent
11/26/2003 2:47:35 PM Auto detecting carrier init string
11/26/2003 2:47:36 PM Attempting to send carrier init string
11/26/2003 2:47:38 PM Carrier init string sent
11/26/2003 2:47:38 PM Dialing carrier
11/26/2003 2:47:48 PM Waiting for connection
11/26/2003 2:48:35 PM Attempting to hang up modem
11/26/2003 2:48:41 PM Attempting to hang up modem
11/26/2003 2:48:47 PM Attempting to hang up modem

========================

I've tried AUTO and 1 other INIT String, both to no avail. I guess this is my next step to gettin it all workin.

Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I've finally got connected to the carrier, but I'm getting "BAD ID OR MESSAGE CONTENT" errors. Ideas?

sharon
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Starting Dialer / GetWeb / Scheduler question Reply with quote

You are most likely getting this because the carrier doesn't like the ID/PIN number you are using. If you are using a 7 digit PIN number, try adding the area code to make it 10 digits. If you are already using 10 digits, strip off the area code and try only using 7 digits.

Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

As soon as I get back to work on Monday I will give that a shot. Hope it works! (If it does, I got a snafu! Cause our database currently randomly holds 7/10 digit pager information. I'm gonna have to make a custom ASP script to deal with the data before I pass it to pagegate for processing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: