NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Using ASP to send Email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Using ASP to send Email Reply with quote

We are currently evaluating PageGate on a Windows based Network so that we can purchase a 600+ pager license if the software meets our needs.

I would like to use ASP in order to send an email message to either (a) our domain mail server, which in part, could send a message to the PageGate server (to do it's stuff), or (b) directly to the PageGate server, where it takes the appropriate actions necessary.

I have no problem developing JMail/ASPMail/CDONTS/CDOSYS mail and sending it to our current Mail Server (I've done that already; everything works fine), but I would like to know how the process works for ASP based email to the PageGate Server.

I've read over the Documentation a number of times, but since I am new to Paging software/terminology in general, it's been a little difficult to follow. If someone could answer the following questions, it would greatly help me in figuring out how to use the software.

Before I ask the questions, let me give you an idea of how the network is setup. We're an approximate 500 node network using Windows XP/2000. We have seperate servers such as a : SQL, DNS, Firewall, WebServer, PageGate, etc.

Q1. Does my ASP application (that I make) send to the PageGate Server or our Email Server?

Q2. Do I have to setup the message into a certain format so that it can be read and populate the proper fields that PG uses to send the page?

Q3. Is PG all I need to SEND the pages, or do I need a 3rd party account with a company that does the actual sending of the pages? If PG does the sending, what hardware do I need to allow it to page?

Q4. Since I am using Email, is GetEmail all I need to get the desired functionality out of PG? I am using a Web Application but I saw that GetWeb requires a CGI script, and we're running Windows based IIS server software, without any Perl/Windows Mods.

Q5. How do I setup PG to read the message sent to it, obtain fields like "From", "Date", "To", "Pager Number", "Message", etc? Does it read these things in an expected format? Or do I tell it where to get its info?

I appreciate any answers ahead of time. Hopefully this software will be what my office needs. Once things work to a satisfactory level, we'll be making a purchase for the appropiate size license. Thank you.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Q1. Does my ASP application (that I make) send to the PageGate Server or our Email >Server?

PageGate can run as a standard SMTP email server. Therefore, the most direct way would be to email the message directly to the PageGate server. You could, however, relay the messages through your existing email server.

>Q2. Do I have to setup the message into a certain format so that it can be read and >populate the proper fields that PG uses to send the page?

The messages would be emailed to the recipient @ the PageGate computer's domain or IP. The subject and body of the email will be used for the message text.

>Q3. Is PG all I need to SEND the pages, or do I need a 3rd party account with a company >that does the actual sending of the pages? If PG does the sending, what hardware do I >need to allow it to page?

PageGate is capable of sending the messages directly to the paging carriers. No inbetween software is required. PageGate can send messages via modem or internet connection. PageGate supports the UCP, TAP, TONE, GSM, SNPP, WCTP, and SMTP protocols for message delivery. Some carriers only allow modem delivery. Some only allow Internet delivery. Many support both.

>Q4. Since I am using Email, is GetEmail all I need to get the desired functionality out of PG? >I am using a Web Application but I saw that GetWeb requires a CGI script, and we're >running Windows based IIS server software, without any Perl/Windows Mods. software.

You will need to purchase the PageGate server with the appropriate pager license. And, as you have stated, you will need the Email (GetMail) interface to accept the messages from your ASP application vis SMTP.

>Q5. How do I setup PG to read the message sent to it, obtain fields like "From", "Date", >"To", "Pager Number", "Message", etc? Does it read these things in an expected format? Or >do I tell it where to get its info?

The "From", "Subject" and "Message" are used by PageGate. The emails are addressed to the recipient you want to send the message to. The recipient would be setup ahead of time in PageGate (with the PIN number).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: