NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Set-up help with OLD (junk) computers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dritchie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Set-up help with OLD (junk) computers Reply with quote

We have been using, for YEARS, "Alfie-it" (a dos program) and am down to only 5 pagers, from 35, 10 years ago.

We have had little problems with it until USA mobility turned off a local terminal access number.
I was given a "UVA" ( universal access) number.
The UVA needs a 10 digit "account number"
( aka - pager number with area code)

Because "Alfie-it" won't take an "account number" over 8 digits,
I went on the hunt for another "free" paging program.

I found NotePage 32, which seems to work fine
( after I transfered it to my laptop, because it is
the only computer in the house with a modem that
I could EASILY get a telephone line to. - worked great !

Now for my PROBLEMS

we have two old computers that are used for word processing and paging,
nothing else, both are old p2's with windows 98 without network access.
and I found out today without usb support, so I can't transfer it via a flash drive..

I copied the files to 2 floppies and tried to install them.
The old machines don't have a "windows/prefetch" folder, so I made one and placed the PF files in it.

On one machine it can't find the modem, while I KNOW it's on port 2

On the second machine notepage won't run at all, error message
" missing *** dll " I forgot to write down the name of the dll because by this point it was time to "give up" for today.

Can anyone shed some light on my problems, so I can get this done
sometime Monday ?

Thanks

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem you're running into is that the program has to be installed on the computer, you can't just copy over the contents of the program directory. The program registers certain DLL files and program functions with Windows and they have to be there in order for it to run properly.

After you install the program, though, all you should have to transfer over is the npp.mdb - the database for the program that contains all of the setup information (carriers, recipients, etc) that you've entered in on the other system.

Donb01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Windows 98 "Second Edition" DOES support usb, but you have to take one additional step.

If you still have the original installation CD that came with Windows you will find a directory on there called "usb". It has been so long since I did this that I can't remember if it is right on the main level of the disk, or if it is under the windows directory, options, or setup, but if you have Second Edition it SHOULD be there. It is unlikely it (the directory) got installed on your PC but you can look for it there under windows (probably windows\options if it's there at all).

In this little usb directory is a program you only have to run once that installs the usb functionality into Second Edition. I don't know if the final days of Win98 had this installed by default or not, but in most cases it was not.

That should give you some level of usb (1.0) functionality. Now whether it is going to detect modern-day usb flash drives, modems and the like without having drivers for them is a completely different story!!

dritchie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks to all Reply with quote

I have NotePage running on my two machines that need to page,
One required "upgrading" one old machine with another "not quite as old" machine. I needed to copy the "install" to a CD, and installed it on both machines from the CD.

Works fine now .... Thanks

Don

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: