NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Send email and SMS at the same time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizardkng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Send email and SMS at the same time? Reply with quote

Pagegate v5

Im just curious about this...if you have a whole slew of recipients, some who get their messages by email, and some by dial up TAP SMS, it seems the PG server sends the TAP messages first, and then when its done, proceeds to send the email messages.

Is there some way to make it send them both at the same time? Because they are using two different connectors, one is a modem, and one is a LAN connection to the internet, seems they could both be used at the same time...or perhaps a way to prioritize the network over the dial up, so emails would go out first?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add (purchase) as second connector license, then the second connector can be setup to only send out messages that are delivered via the Internet. That way they will never get held up behind slower TAP messages.

As far as delivery speed goes, the more connectors you have, the better. You will, however, get a pretty good improvement by just adding a second connector.

lizardkng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to add a second connector, and DONT configure a connector to be carrier specific...will they both work at the same time and share the load?

In other words, if I have both connectors just set to default (not configuring the connector to be carrier specific), or perhaps both configured to do verizon tap messaging, and I submit 100 messages, will they both dial up and each deliver half the messages? Thereby cutting the delivery time in half?

OzCom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Remember, though, if you have 2 connectors sharing the load and they are both expected to use TAP at the same time - then you will need 2 modems and 2 phone lines

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lizardkng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I understand that.

Thank you!

Donb01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would still do this the way Tech Support suggests. If you have your 2 connectors and they both could swing either way, what's not to say the program's priority isn't to send all the TAP messages first and then the E-Mails? In that case both connections may be used for TAP and the E-Mails will possibly still go out behind them. If you dedicate the 2 connections they can both run simultaneously for different purposes.

You should still be able to configure them to roll-over to each other for emergency purposes - just set the failure threshold and message backlog to a higher number than you would have in normal use.

lizardkng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Id love to use email...

But there are some serious delays involved....long delays from verizons smtp server, upwards of 30 seconds, and sometimes as much as 1m 45s (on each message)

We are a 911 center, and cant have delays like that.

Just the other day 35 messages went out at once and took 45 minutes. The call was already over and some responders were still getting pages.

I can see the delays on the log, and they all seem to be waiting on verizon to accept the recipient address. (or outright failures/retrys)

What I would want would probably be two modems, both dialing verizon TAP and splitting the message queue between the modems.

hobgoolw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Verizon SMTP Server Delays Reply with quote

Lizardkng, I was searching for topics about SMTP delays and came across your answer about Verizon's server. I have been investigating delays reported to me today which have been going on at least since February 26, 2008. This too is a 911 center located in James City County, Virginia. In looking at the logs, it appears that there is a huge slowdown recently as more volunteers have switched to Verizon wireless. James City County's CAD System automatically does an All Page whenever there is a report of a structure fire. And yes, you hit it on the head, one hour later the pages finally got out to everyone. As you know, this is not acceptable in our environment. I have invoked a second connector. We upgraded to version 5 about a month ago. But I am really tempted to switch Verizon notifications from SMTP to TAP. How long has the Verizon SMTP server been running this slow?

OzCom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verizon's SMTP delivery has been like this for about 2 months.

View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hobgoolw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many Verizon subscribers that are out there, you would think that Verizon would have stepped into the real world using a state-of-the-art technology. I think Verizon has gotten too big for their britches and maybe don't care. I may be able to stir something up through the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO) and possibly through the CIO from the City of Richmond. He loves beating on vendors.

OzCom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL cell carriers are looking at the text messaging side of their business as a revenue generator - look at the european experience. There are several projects going on from both the public and private sector that will take advantage of existing messaging technologies for emergency notification systems. The Department of Homeland Security is working closely with the FCC and the CTIA (Cellular trade group) to define and establish a framework.

For now - my public safety clients are using TAP and GSM-AT as reliable protocols for Verizon Wireless cell phones

(PS: I feel your pain - my "other" career is a professional firefighter/paremedic assigned as a Lieutenant on the city's heavy rescue company - IAFF L740)

hobgoolw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll try to keep up with their progress.

Good to know that you are in the Public Safety business andcan relate. I have a feeling that a lot of members on this forum are tied to Public Safety and are probably going through the same issues. Thank goodness for the forum itself.

lizardkng

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Verizon SMTP Server Delays Reply with quote

hobgoolw wrote:
But I am really tempted to switch Verizon notifications from SMTP to TAP. How long has the Verizon SMTP server been running this slow?

Im not certain, as I just recently switched from TAP to SMTP thinking that emails MUST be quicker....but as it turned out, on a message by message basis, they are (one message here and there) but when you get a group of messages going out....thats when the delays start....I wonder if its an anti spam measure?

Ive since switched back to TAP since its more reliable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: