NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Fire and Police Stations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Fire and Police Stations Reply with quote

I see many police and fire departments using your software. We are looking for a network solution for paging, but also need dial up in case the network is down.

If we load your software on the workstations in our police dispatch office would they page through the network or use a modem?

Thank you
Debbie

NotePage Sales

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Fire and Police using NotePage's software Reply with quote

Hi Debbie,
NotePage is very popular in the public safety sector. PageGate with the GUI interface is popular as a network paging solution. It allows for all network users to share a common modem and database to send text messages (it will also support the internet protocols for sending text messages).

A popular feature with public safety is that failover is supported so that if the emssage cannot be delivered via one delivery method (ie. via the internet) a backup delivery method can be defined (ie. via modem).

You may want to also put NotePager Pro on a standalone system to use a local modem in the event your network is down. Additional information and evaluation versions of both PageGate and NotePager Pro can be found at http://www.notepage.net/software.htm

Please let me know if you require further assistance.
Thank you
NotePage Sales

DougK911

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are using Notepage's Pagegate (server-based) product, along with Web Access and the GUI Client, for our Police/Fire Department messaging in exactly the way you describe.

If our connection to the internet is down, and we can't reach our primary paging provider (ARCH WCTP), Pagegate automatically "fails over" to the dial-up TAP method for all messages bound for ARCH Wireless. Works like a charm. It takes a little while longer to get a large group-page sent out, but it is seamless and works very well for us.

PM me if you'd like more details...

Doug

HutchinsPD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: failover Reply with quote

Okay.. So, we are using NotePager PRO on a single computer in our dispatch. We are using our Cable broadband thru the network for Internet delivery of messages, and just installed a 56K Modem to use as a back up (dial in) when our internet connection goes down? What do I need to do to setup the software to use the dial in when the internet goes down? If you could point me in the right direction, I'm sure I can figure it out.. Thanx in advance for your assistance..

Sam ( comadoll126@hutchinspd.org )

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Fire and Police Stations Reply with quote

You have two options.

1. You can leave NotePager Pro alone, and simply dial and connect to the Internet before sending messages.

2. If your carriers support the TAP protocol, you can setup a second carrier, and then switch your recipients over to use that carrier when the Internet connection is down.

DougK911

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Notpager and Automatic Failover Reply with quote

Sam:

Basically, you need to get your carriers TAP information (dial-up modem telephone #, baud rate, etc.) Create a new "carrier" record for them, and call it (for example) "ARCH TAP DIALUP" . Do a quick test with an available pager by changing it's "recipient" record in Notepager Pro to use the newly-created carrier described above - Make sure you can successfully send a message via dialup TAP with your carrier.

Once you know that it is working properly via dialup, go into the carrier record for the one you use via the broadband internet connection, and then go into it's "settings" - Change the value for the "failover" field from "NONE" (the default value) to be the newly-created "TAP DIALUP" carrier.

Now, when Notepager Pro can't reach your carrier via the internet (if it's down, etc.) it will (should) automatically flop over to the dialup method.

You can test the failover by preparing a message that would be sent via the internet, then just before you send it, yank the PC's connection to your cable modem. It should time-out, and fail over to the dialup method. If it doesn't you need to investigate further!

If you need further info, feel free to PM me or e-mail.

Good luck

Doug Kiner (itzdoug@pacbell.net)

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Notpager and Automatic Failover Reply with quote

Great information Doug. Thanks for spending the time to reply.

The only thing I would like to add is that the 'failover' feature is only available in PageGate. NotePager Pro doesn't have this feature. The user would have to manually switch the carrier that the recipients are setup to use, or probably even easier, temporarily change the carrier setting to use TAP instead of one of the Internet protocols.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: