NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Question about how SMS works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caryjohnson2001

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Question about how SMS works Reply with quote

I read the help docs you have on your site, and found them very helpful. The thing I don't get, is when you send an SMS with another cellphone, you don't have to specify a carrier. How does this work? How would you do this with a computer?

Thank you,
Cary

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Question about how SMS works Reply with quote

Two questions:

Are you sending the message from another phone on the same network (both phones on the same carrier)?

What country are you in?

caryjohnson2001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, This could be from any cellphone to any cellphone in my country ( USA ). For instance, this could be from a T-Mobile to Verizon. You just dial the number and it figures out the rest.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Question about how SMS works Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that any of the US carriers were passing SMS messages between networks. This is commonly supported in Europe, but not the US.

Are you talking about dialing the other phone for voice, or actually sending text messages to phones on other networks?

If you are successful in doing this, I would be very interested in which carrier are supporting this (which two different carriers the phones are on).

caryjohnson2001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i can send and recieve SMS and MMS messages on my cellphone to/from any other cellphone around here.

The networks that I can think that do this are:

Verizon
T-Mobile
AT&T
Qwest
Cricket
Alltel
Nextel

and there are tons more, I just can't think of any names at the moment, but they ALL can share messages

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Question about how SMS works Reply with quote

Very interesting! I am going to have to look further into that.

However, I have managed to lead you a little off topic. You have two options with PageGate. The way it is typically used is to setup recipient and carrier information ahead of time. You do need the carrier information for this to work (i.e. protocol, phone-number/host, communication settings, etc.) The other option that could take advantage of what you describe to work would be to hook a mobile phone or wireless modem directly to the serial port of the computer running PageGate. If the phone/modem supports the GSM 7.07 commandset, then PageGate can send messages completely wirelessly though your mobile phone or wireless modem. Since this sends the messages the same way you would from entering on the phone itself, it should be able to deliver messages in the same way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: