NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Getting PageGate to work with Multiple Modems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Getting PageGate to work with Multiple Modems Reply with quote

We have our copy of PageGate running right now on a box with 2 external modems connected to it. On COM1 there is an external 56k connected via a Serial Port. And on COM3 there is an external 56k connected via a USB port.

We have had problems before using multiple USB modems on 1 computer (for this make/model of a Dell computer), so we were wondering if it is possible to purchase an INTERNAL PCI 56k modem and then setup PageGate to use it as well.

We have a 2 Dialer license, so am I correct in understanding that (a) this can be done, and if that is so, then (b) PageGate will use the "other" modem if one is busy.

We can't use the ext modem connected to the USB because we have a person who dials into the computer on that modem and I remember hearing about PageGate needing exclusive use of the modem it's using, or otherwise it'll have problems (in fact, someone called in on the SERIAL external modem a while back and sure enough, PageGate stopped; so we need to resolve this, and my thoughts were on getting another modem, this time being an internal one.)

Should this work?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Getting PageGate to work with Multiple Modems Reply with quote

PageGate can use up to 16 modems if you own the licenses for them. PageGate will intelligently use multiple modems for both redudancy and delivery speed.

Here is my order of preference for modes to be used by PageGate:

1. USR Sportster external modem (RS232 not USB)
2. Any external serial modem (RS232, not USB)
3. Any internal 'real' modem (not winmodem)

10. Winmodems, network modems, USB modems

Aaron Martone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I tell what COM port an INTERNAL MODEM uses?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Getting PageGate to work with Multiple Modems Reply with quote

Window's Plug-and-Play system will assign it one. It is usually difficult to convince it to use anything else than what it decides to choose. After it is istalled, go into the Windows Control Panel, and then into the Modems icon. It will tell you what COM port the modem is using in there (different screens depending on the version of Windows).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: