NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

PageGate folder security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonaldFrancis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: PageGate folder security Reply with quote

We use PageGate over a decent sized network and use the GUI client for the most part.

Because of this I have shared the directory pagegate is in for the clients to connect to the DB. This does work well except for the fact that I have to share that directory to everyone.

I would like to keep this as secure as is reasonable and lock it down so that users cannot just go into the Logs directory and edit them or delete some part of the program in an effort to break it (unlikely but possible).

At this point I have the directory shared with "Everyone" having read and write permission (not Full Control). I also have the "Logs" directory set to only have local Admin access.

I would like to make it more secure then this if possible but I of course do not want to disable the program. What is the best way for me to do this?

- Do the clients only need access to the DB file?
- If so can the DB file be moved away from the rest of the program?

Thank you

Tech Support

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: PageGate folder security Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to move the PageGate database to its own folder. Then the regular users wouldn't have access to the program files, logs, etc. Here is how to move the database:

1. Shut down all PageGate programs.
2. Copy the PageGate database (pagegate.mdb) to a new location.
3. Run the PG Admin program.
4. Go to 'Program' -> 'Settings' and change the database path to the new location.
5. Restart the PageGate server.
6. Update the PageGate GUI Clients to point to the new location.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the info!

I have a major issue with Step 6 though. I have many users who are spread out amongst many buildings. Changing all their datapaths , while possible, would be a massive pain in the butt.

I have them all just pointed to a share , would there be any problem with me just sharing the "new" DB folder with the sharename (obviously the old share would have to go away)? I would think it would work just fine.

Thanks

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: PageGate folder security Reply with quote

Yes, changing the 'share' to the new location will make the change transparent to your users.

DonaldFrancis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that worked great. No one even knew.

Thanks Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: