NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Pagegate failover condtions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbartlet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Pagegate failover condtions Reply with quote

Hello:

I am looking to set up fail over between sending an email to a person via an email server and if that fails the sending he email by cell gateway.

Also text messages to the cell gateway first then if that fails the as an email to the person.

I need to know what the logic is to cause the failover.

For instance id the email fail cased by no response to an email server? Of a ping failure to say that there is no internet connection?

If i have redo the way my error messages flow then it is good to know up front.

I do have a registered copy of pagegate.

Thank you

Joe

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

There are two different styles of failover in PageGate, one at the carrier level and one at the recipient level.

Carrier level failover
This Carrier level failover allows PageGate to automatically and seamlessly transition between communication methods in the event that it has trouble delivering a message.

As an example, let's say you're using a cellular modem to deliver your messages. You would probably also want to configure an internet based carrier that the cellular modem could fail over to in the event of hardware failure.

So, let's say that you're using a cellular modem and that you're also registered for Verizon's Enterprise Messaging Access Gateway (EMAG) WCTP API. You could have the cellular modem fail over to Verizon's EMAG WCTP host, so that in the event of hardware failure, your traffic still has a viable route of delivery available.

Recipient level failover
The Recipient level failover allows PageGate to automatically deliver a message to an alternate address, location or person in the event that the primary contact couldn't be messaged.

For example, let's say that we have John Smith's Cel and John Smith's Email as recipients in PageGate. We could have John Smith's Cel fail over to John Smith's Email or we could configure the reverse. By doing so, we're telling PageGate that if a message can't be delivered to John Smith's cell phone, that message should be delivered to his email instead or vice versa.

Based on what you're describing, it sounds like you want to set up a recipient level failover so if a message to someone's email fails, it redirects the message to their cell phone via SMS gateway.

jbartlet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Life takes a sharp turn at times.

Thank you for the information. I do need a bit more. For instance in the emails. What causes the change to a different path? The lack of response on a port 25 connection? Or some other logic to determine when to switch to the backup. The same for the sms.

In my situation i an redoing the flows so i need to know if pagegate will the the first point in an email flow or does it need to be elsewhere.

Currently there are multiple devices ( over 20) that send equipment status emails to an email server that then sends the email out to a list based on the inbound email address from the device. The email server has its own domain name and sends out the emails through an normal static ip. Pagegate will be used to do the routing in case of failure to an alternate internet connection. I am looking for the specifics of pagegates routing choices so i know where to place it in the flow.

Thank you

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

PageGate's failovers will engage any time a protocol/message delivery sequence fails and a message can't be delivered. So, if a connection can't be made to a host on the requested port or if any error codes are returned during the protocol negotiation sequence, the failover system will engage.

For example, let's say we have two carriers called PrimaryServer and BackupServer.

Let's also say that we setup a failover from PrimaryServer to BackupServer.

If PrimaryServer doesn't respond at all, that would push messages into failover to BackupServer.

If PrimaryServer responds but issues any form of rejection or failure notice, that will still push messages into failover to the 'BackupServer' carrier.

As another example, let's say we have a recipient called joe_email and a group called FailoverNotifications. If the 'FailoverNotifications' recipient is set as the failover for the recipient 'joe_email', if any message to the 'joe_email' fails, it will be redirected to the FailoverNotfications group.

If you need anything else, please let us know!

jbartlet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

That anwers the question . I can design the proper flow of notifications for my system.

Again great information.

Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: