NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Unable to send dialer init string...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gharnett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Unable to send dialer init string... Reply with quote

I am currently evaluating PageGate 4 for the purpose of replacing our AirSource Pro installation. The install proceded well, but I am having trouble with the dialer init strings, and I get the error "Unable to send dialer init string". The confusing part is that the string in use is the EXACT string that AirSource Pro is currently using and has used successfully for years now.

I am using a US Robotics Sportster 28.8 modem with PageGate and the init string used by AirSource Pro is as follows... AT&C1&D2&K0&M0&N2Q0V1. I am connecting to a GrayLink (was Porta-Phone) terminal, and the number is (850) 489-7243. The OS is Windows 2000 Svr.

I can get the Connect message using HyperTerminal to dial the carrier. I am at a loss and currently am trying various strings without luck, including the built-in strings. Any help that can be provided to get the evaluation working would be appreciated.

Thanks,

G Harnett

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Unable to send dialer init string... Reply with quote

That init string should work with USR modems. Make sure that all the '0's are zeros not 'ohs'

If you set the init string to (auto) PageGate should pick up a valid init string for your modem. When you do set it to auto, which init string does PageGate pick?

Also, double check the serial port setting under 'Connectors' -> 'Dialer1' -> 'Settings' to make sure it is the correct serial port for your USR modem.

gharnett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All "0" were in fact zeros and not the letter. When I set the string to (auto) as mentioned, it does in fact dial out to the carrier, but never sends the page. I always get "waiting to connect", and the call is dropped shortly thereafter. The page is apparently never sent. Also, I cannot determine which string the (auto) setting picks. After setting to (auto) the Init String field is blank when I go into the Admin tool, and I found nothing in the logs indicating which string was selected.

Any thoughts?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Unable to send dialer init string... Reply with quote

Try blanking out (erasing) the init string on your carrier's settings screen. Then on the dialer's settings screen, set the init string to auto. After PageGate dials out the first time, it will set the init string to it's best match.

If that doesn't help, try this init string, and set the carrier's baud rate to 300.

AT&F0Q0V1X4&D2&B1&K0&M0&N1

gharnett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried blanking the carrier init string, setting dialer to (auto), and the modem will dial the carrier, wait for a connection but drop the call shortly thereafter with no page sent. I have also tried the provided init string and setting the carrier baud rate to 300, with similar results...Unable to send dialer init string, carrier is dialed, waiting for connection and the call is dropped shortly thereafter with no page sent.

Any other thoughts?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Unable to send dialer init string... Reply with quote

I am going to ask we switch this problem over to email correspondence because some of the information I will be asking for is the type you don't want published on a public forum (i.e. phone numbers, pager numbers, email addresses, etc.).

Please email me at: chris@notepage.com to pick up where we have left off.

I will post the results of what we find back in this thread, for people who have similar questions in the future.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Unable to send dialer init string... Reply with quote

After working with the customer, we determined that his USR modem (old Sportster model) wasn't handling even parity correctly. The computer couldn't communicate with the modem when using even parity. The carrier was configured in PageGate to use no parity and 8 data bits, and everything started to work fine.

I haven't seen this behavior in any USR modem in the past, and believe it is a problem particular to his modem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: