NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

COM port TAP connection not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: COM port TAP connection not working Reply with quote

I am struggling with getting a TAP connection working with PG8 on a Server 2016 machine. I was once able to get a USB to Serial connection to work but if I try either the built-in COM1 port or a third-party serial port (COM2 as seen by Windows), neither will work. No pages go through. The only thing in the connector log when I try to send a page are things like this:

========================================
1/30/2020 8:41:56 AM Start connection to carrier: ZETRON
1/30/2020 8:41:56 AM Connect using TAP protocol
1/30/2020 8:41:56 AM Setting communication parameters (9600,e,7,1)
1/30/2020 8:41:56 AM Connected to carrier
1/30/2020 8:41:56 AM Waiting for protocol initialization
1/30/2020 8:41:56 AM Sent:<CR>
1/30/2020 8:41:58 AM Sent:<CR>
1/30/2020 8:42:02 AM Sent:<CR>
1/30/2020 8:42:06 AM Sent:<CR>

I am connecting to a Zetron paging system through a serial to cat5 adapter that was in production and working fine on a Windows 7 machine running PG6. The settings of the new server's carrier and connetors match the old system.

One question about the specific Connector setting is this: Under the connector Serial Port drop down, it will list a Com Port 0. What is this? Do Com Ports 1-4, correspond the the Com Ports that Windows sees?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the Connector settings, Serial Port '0' configures a connector for TCP-only protocols. The numbers in the list will represent COM port values you want the connector to use. For example, if your serial connection is on COM3, you would specify 'Serial Port' 3.

Also, if the connection is an RS-232 connection, you'll want to make sure 'Direct Connect' is checked, otherwise the connector will try to use the listed COM port as a modem instead of a direct serial connection.

Based on what we can see in the log, you're not receiving a response from the Zetron system.

If you run Putty (www.putty.org) and try to open a serial connection on the same COM port, do you receive a response when you hit enter?

Just to note it, the beginning sequence of the TAP protocol is:
Sending System: CarriageReturn
Receiving System: ID=

So, if the Zetron system can respond, you should receive ID= in response to hitting enter.

OzCom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally - for a direct RS-232 connection to the paging terminal - you will need a NULL modem cable or adaptor

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: