NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

PageGate Client sends but not Web GUI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laphamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: PageGate Client sends but not Web GUI Reply with quote

When a page is sent via the client, all works well. When trying to use the web client the page does not go (radio does not engage either). One thing I did notice is that although I have the Wb Client Service set to Automatic, it is stopped. When I manulally start it, it runs for about 5 secs and then stops itself.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could happen for a few reasons. If you would, please email the PageGate logs (c:\PageGateData\Logs\*.log, by default) to support at notepage dot com so we can have a look at a few things.

laphamr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was able to find the issue and know the cause as well. I have people that are not system admins but PageGate Admins. I shared out the necessary folders for the WebPages and CGI data path and pointed their admin instance there. He has those drives mapped in a persistent state but for some reason when he PC hung over the weekend everything hung up. When I changed the Paths back to direct server paths the queued messages went out.

So my biggest issue centers back to giving a regular user admin right to PageGate. Also how to force a Synchronization so when he removes things from his Admin console, it reflects in a more timely manner in the web console.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web pages and cgi data paths in the settings of GetWeb are global paths set in the database; what you set there is set for any system that uses PG Admin.

Due to that, we recommend using UNC paths instead of mapped drive paths since mapped drives are logon dependent and UNC paths should, in theory, be universal. That way, no matter who opens the admin, they should be able to access and write to the web pages and CGI data paths.

laphamr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately when I use UNC paths versus mapped drives, I get an Unable to create user's webpage file when trying to assign a webpage template. If I map the path, that does not happen. Also when I update a users name in the FullName field under settings, it does not update.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paths referenced in GetWeb need to be local drive letters on the PageGate server, or UNC paths, as the PageGate Windows Services reference these paths and they really shouldn't reference mapped drives.

What you're running in to is definitely a permissions issue to the web pages and CGI data share paths, though I'm not sure where the specific issue lays.

To test, in Windows on one of the workstation PG Admin systems, try browsing to the 'templates' folder under the UNC path to the 'Web Pages Path'.

Then create, edit, save, then delete a plain text file in that same location and let us know what happens, please.

laphamr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to \\%servername%\wwwroot, once there I navigated to the templates folder, created a test.txt, opened it, added info, saved it, then deleted it with no issue.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To double check, when you run PG Admin on the workstation(s), are you right clicking on the shortcut and using 'Run as Administrator' (or is that set as a default property value on the shortcut) or double clicking to run?

laphamr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run As Administrator or just double click, doesn't matter. Now that Admin app is installed to my workstation, it is not running off of the server. I just have all of the DBs and such pointed to the server.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a further test, if you would, try doing the same file creation, editing and deletion test in the \\%servername%\wwwroot\templates\ folder and the CGI Data folder as well (typically \\%servername%\pgscripts\ by default but you may have used a different specific folder).

laphamr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So both do work. I do not have a share directly to \\%servername%\wwwroot\templates\, I have one to \\%servername%\wwwroot for the Web Pages path and then navigate to templates but the save does work. My CGI Data Path is a share name of \\%servername%\scripts which goes to C:\inetpub\scripts on the PageGate server and it works as well.

But when I create a new user, the wwwroot folder is not created becuase when I select the template file name (which I do see), it says Unable to create user's webpage.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code being executed just before that error is attempting to create a new folder named:

your-getweb-path\the-recipient-or-group-name\

It isn't actually creating any files in there, yet... just the folder.

We're available from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern time and would like to arrange a time where we could screenshare in to your system with you to help determine the root permissions issue in play.

If you would, please email support at notepage dot com with your contact information and availability.

laphamr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: