NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Pagegate not forwarding pager message on service connection.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Pagegate not forwarding pager message on service connection. Reply with quote

We have a Solarwinds Orion NPM and pagegate integrated paging system that we are setting up to replace an older after hours notification system. The issue is that once the paging service picks up the call from the modem, pagegate does not seem to be sending the message to the pager. Orion NPM sends the message to pagegate with no issue. Pagegate then processes the action and connects the modem and dials out to the paging service without issue. Once the paging service picks up the call nothing happens. We put a phone on the line to listen in on what was happening on the connection. Once the paging service picked up there was no further tones or activity on the line. We are only trying to send from 2 to 6 numbers for the message.

Log output:

Start connection to carrier: XXXXXXX
Connect using RawSerial protocol
Setting communication parameters (115200,n,8,1)
Attempting to reset modem
Sent:AT<CR>
Received:AT<CR><LF><CR><LF>OK<CR><LF>
Modem reset
Attempting to send connector init string
Sent:ATE1<CR>
Received:ATE1<CR><LF><CR><LF>OK<CR><LF>
connector init string sent
Dialing carrier
Sent:ATDT99XXXXXXX,,,,,<CR>
Received:<CR><LF>NO CARRIER<CR><LF>
Unable to connect
Hanging up modem
Sent:ATH0<CR>
Recieved:ATH0<CR><LF><CR><LF>OK<CR><LF>
Modem hung up
========================================
Connect using RawSerial protocol
Setting communication parameters (115200,n,8,1)
Modem reset
Dialing carrier
Sent:ATDT99XXXXXXX,,,,,<CR>
Received:<CR><LF>NO CARRIER<CR><LF>
Unable to connect
Hanging up modem
Recieved:ATH0<CR><LF><CR><LF>OK<CR><LF>
Modem hung up
Carrier retry limit reached. Marking pending messages as bad
FAILED Stn:1 To:XXXXXXX Frm:Orion File:tmp40251.184 Msg:51#

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To double check, what type of paging system is being interacted with and what communication parameters does it require?

I ask because the protocol referenced is RawSerial and most paging systems want to speak in a formatted language, like TAP.

Also, the 'NO CARRIER' response means that the modem was unable to handshake with the receiving system; though that may be due in part to the baud rate, data bits, parity or stop bits.

scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are using a Sectera wireline terminal modem which is the same modem used in the old system. We have retained all of the settings from the original system for the modem. The old system used Whats Up Gold directly to the modem. We are now using Solarwinds Orion NPM and using alerts with action rules to send a message to Pagegate to send the page notification. We have Orion to pagegate working fine and pagegate will dial the modem. I have tried TAP with the same results as serial. I know the modem will work with the paging service as it currently does on the old paging system. The only settings I can get from Whats Up Gold is the com port settings which are the same as we have used with the connector in Pagegate. The paging service is Direct Page and I have been unable to get any information from them as to what protocols they support. I put a phone on the Whatsup Gold modem line to listen to a page go out and it sounded like it sent tone digits after the paging service picked up the call. I made an attempt to use a tone carrier on Pagegate, but the data rate supported is below what the modem will support.

Our setup is as such:

Orion NPM Alert > Orion NPM action rule > Pagegate > Sectera Wireline Terminal modem > Direct Page paging service > iphone paging app

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what you've described it sounds like the old system is sending literal touchtones to the receiving service. In that case, you wouldn't want to use the RawSerial protocol, you would want to use the TONE protocol but you mentioned that the data rate supported is below what the modem will support for sending touch tones?

Also, with the old setup, are people receiving alphanumeric messages or numeric-only messages?

scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are sending 2 to 6 digit messages, numbers only. When I monitored the phone line off the old system we heard tones passed. There isn't any log output or configuration settings that show what is being used as the messaging protocol or method. All we could do was listen to the line and assume. I was unable to setup a tone carrier because pagegate did not support 2400 which is the lowest rate setting I can use on the modem. Is there a patch for pagegate we could apply to support the 2400 rate?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odd part is that baud rate shouldn't matter with DTMF (touchtones), it's only relevant for handshake style communication like TAP, FAX, etc.

So, do you know the format of what needs to be passed to the Sectera system? For example, do you need to pass the ID, then a control character like # or * and then the numeric message to send? Or do you just need to send a numeric string?

scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we start dialing the sectera we need to pass digits so I send the ATDT command with 99 to access the line then the phone number of the service. I insert 5 seconds silence to allow for the service to pick up the call then 2 to 6 numeric digits should be send closed with a # to signal end of message. We setup orion to pass 2 digits with a # at the end to pagegate for testing. We see pagegate process and accept that message. You can see that in the log I posted earlier. The dial strings being passed from pagegate to the modem look like this:

ATDT99XXXXXXX,,,,,

I expect 2 to 6 digits to be passed after this for the message followed by a #.

I'm going to try a tone carrier again and see if there is a way I can get pagegate to properly initiat the modem with different rates. The sectera modem is limited in what it supports for functions. I am getting ready to propose that we go to a different modem. It is preferable that we are able to make this work, but if not, do you have any recommended modems to use with pagegate that will do dial out only?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I've done some research, and it turns out the PageGate's TONE protocol is hard-coded to use 1200 baud to communicate with the modem. We haven't ever come across a modem that wouldn't talk at that baud in the past, so the hard-coding has never been a problem.

It sounds like the modem you are currently testing will only communicate at 2400 baud, at the slowest, which explains the trouble you are having.

I am currently looking into a solution, and should have a better answer for you later today.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you'll want to do:

1) Download these updated connector 1 and admin executables:
https://www.notepage.net/download/dev/pgdial1.exe
https://www.notepage.net/download/dev/pgadmin.exe

2) Right click on the shortcut for PG Admin and select 'Run as Administrator'

3) Right click Connectors, select 'Stop all'.

4) Close PG Admin.

5) Copy and paste the files you downloaded in step 1 in to the PageGate program directory.
5a) When prompted, you do want to overwrite the existing files.

6) Right click on the shortcut for PG Admin and select 'Run as Administrator'

7) Go in to the settings of the carrier you've been working with and change the protocol to TONE

8) Specify the following:
Baud Rate: 2400
Init String: (auto)
Max Chars: 10
Wait String: 99,,,@

Note: With the above wait string, each comma represents a 2 second delay. So, by using '99,,,@' we're telling PageGate to issue two 9 touch tones, then wait 6 seconds before passing the numeric sequence that is the message.

9) Click Apply.

Give that a try and let us know if it works, please.

scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will give these a try and let you know.

scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied the two files and I was able to modify the carrier to 2400 baud. The messages process correctly into pagegate and the log shows it sending all of the commands with OK acks back. However, the modem itself does not show status of processing, it doesn't go off hook, and the log shows a "timed out waiting for silence" before the failed message.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing the @ from the end of the wait string. It tells the modem to wait for a few seconds of silence before continuing, but it's not supported by all modems.

scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already tried removing the @ from the wait line as well as other dialing sequences. The main issue as of right now is that the modem doesn't actually respond to commands send from pagegate. The log out put from pagegate shows that the commands are sent and recieved and it attempts to send the message. However, the modem does absolutely nothing now. It does not go off hook and attempt to dial despite what the log output on pagegate shows. I'm not sure what the issue is here. Before we were able to get the modem to call out and we just were not able to get pagegate to pass the message once the paging service picked up.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post an updated Connector1 log so I can see if there are any clues in there?

Thanks

scott.balthaser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on message from Orion to XXXXXXX
Deliver using touch tones
Formatting message
Setting communication parameters (2400,n,8,1)
Modem reset
Sending touch tones: ATDT99XXXXXXX,,,52#;<13>
Sent:ATDT99XXXXXXX,,,52#;<CR>
Received:ATDT99XXXXXXX,,,52#;<CR><LF><CR><LF>OK<CR><LF>
Timed out waiting for silence
Hanging up modem
Received:ATH0<CR><LF><CR><LF>OK<CR><LF>
Modem hung up
Message retry limit reached
FAILED Stn:1 To:XXXXXXX Frm:Orion File:tmp40262.206 DB Msg:52# Sent Msg:52#

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: