NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

UK Newbie: basic costs???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypernetics

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: UK Newbie: basic costs??? Reply with quote

Sorry if this sounds a bit basic, but im kinda new to SMS from PC.

I have been looking at your NotePager Pro, and was wondering WHAT-ELSE do i need once I have it installed?

There is talk about a 'carrier', does this mean i have to set-up an account?? How much does this cost?? Anually or per message?

-OR-

Once I purchase NP pro, can I just send unlimited text messages from my PC??

Any help appreciated :)

Many thanx, Gaz (aka Hypernetics)

==========================================
(Other info: in UK, runnin XP, Cable B/Band & need to send out about 150 msgs once a week)
==========================================

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: UK Newbie: basic costs??? Reply with quote

The only thing you need to purchase from use is the software itself (i.e. NotePage Pro). There is no per-message charge associated with sending out messages. There may, however, be costs associated with the phone calls to the carrier(s). This would be the cost of a regular phone call, local or long distance. If you use one of the Internet delivery protocols (SNPP, SMTP, WCTP) instead of a dial-up protocol (TAP, UCP, TONE), then there wouldn't even be the phone call charge.

NotePager Pro sends messages to the wireless carrier that the mobile phone is using. The 'carrier' then delivers the message(s) to the actual phone. NotePager Pro can either dial the carrier directly via modem, or use the Internet to deliver the message(s) to the carrier.

The one exception to this is if you connect a wireless modem or mobile phone directly to the computer running NotePager Pro. With this setup NotePager Pro can use your phone or modem to deliver messages directly to the destination device, without sending it through your carrier first. The wireless modem or phone must support the GSM 7.05 commandset and use a serial port connection (or an emulated COM port) to connect to the computer.

You will need to check with your carrier to find out what protocols and delivery methods they support.

A list of many well known carriers and their settings can be found here:
http://www.notepage.net/support.htm

Hypernetics

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would i know, which carrier details to enter in to NP pro, can i just pick and enter any???

(My modem accepts SMTP & WCTP, I am connected to cable broadband, NO-dial-up)

All I have is a list of 150 uk mobile phone numbers. I do not know which indiavidual network they are on...?
(UK phones usually use 1 of 5 companies, Vodafone/Orange/Virgin/T-mobile/o2)

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: UK Newbie: basic costs??? Reply with quote

You would need to know which carrier each phone number is on. You would need to create a carrier for each of the carriers you mentioned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: