NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Rogers Pagers - Tap - Bad ID or Message error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whague

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Rogers Pagers - Tap - Bad ID or Message error Reply with quote

Trying to setup Page Gate to use phone line over Tap. Yet trying to find accurate information, is somewhat hard.

The Carrier we are using is Rogers. And we are located Ontario Canada. Out of the two numbers for Rogers listed on this Webpage, only the 1800 number actually answers the software, the other number plus another number for Toronto I saw in a previous post does not answer either.

For the number that does answer, I get "Bad ID or Message" error. The other issue is I don't exactly know what the ID should be. The pagers themselves have a phone number, as well as an extension. Rogers documentation is rather sparse on their pagers.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to double check, are you trying to message cell phones or pagers? The reason I ask is that your post mentions pagers but, as far as I know, the Rogers TAP terminals will only accept messages for their cell phones. I'm not sure Rogers has a TAP line for their pagers.

Whague

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pagers

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, unfortunately, I don't think Rogers supports TAP for their pagers. If they do, I'm unaware of the terminal number and would be most interested to discover it, if it exists.

I'd recommend trying to contact Rogers directly and ask them these questions:

1) If you wanted to email a message to your pager, what SMTP address would you use? This will allow you to use SMTP in PageGate to send the pagers messages.

2) Do you support th

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, unfortunately, I don't think Rogers supports TAP for their pagers. If they do, I'm unaware of the terminal number and would be most interested to discover it, if it exists.

I'd recommend trying to contact Rogers directly and ask them these questions:

1) If you wanted to email a message to your pager, what SMTP address would you use? This will allow you to use SMTP in PageGate to send the pagers messages.

2) Does Rogers support SNPP to their pagers? If so, what is the SNPP host?

3) Does Rogers support WCTP to their pagers? If so, what is their WCTP host?

Whague

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to Rogers Snpp.rogers.com 444 and Wctp.rogers.com 443 both exist, or the guy was absolutely clueless, who answered me.

Yet neither one of those wanted to connect with the software, so generally at a loss as to how to get these working.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's... a bit odd. I know snpp.rogers.com and wctp.rogers.com/wctp used to exist but they sunsetted those hosts a few months ago and, from what I'd heard and seen our clients run in to, stopped supporting the protocols. I just ran a basic test against both and they're not responding to connection requests, indicating that they're not active anymore.

Though, just to be clear, we've only worked with Rogers cell phones and, in most cases, paging hosts are separate from SMS hosts, even within the same carrier. I was hoping Rogers would have a separate host for their pagers.

Did they tell you what email-to-page address you might be able to use?

Whague

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, their email to Pager works and is already setup up elsewhere. The trouble is we have to go through a Google account to get it to work. I'm looking for an alternative to the email to pager to try and eliminate the extra step.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... unfortunately, that's ultimately reliant on what protocols the carrier supports. If the carrier only supports email-to-page, that doesn't leave you with any options. If they do support TAP, TAP over IP, SNPP, WCTP or if they have a web API that supports the use of GET or POST web methods or can accept a Raw TCP packet, you should be able to use PageGate to send them messages.

Also, if they support multiple protocols, you can configure them in a failover chain in PageGate. For example, if the carrier supports a web API and the SNPP protocol, you could configure the web API method as the primary method of delivery with a failover for SNPP. That way, if the program has trouble communicating with the primary host, it can fail over to a secondary host. You can also configure as many failover chains as the carrier has hosts. So, if they support SNPP, WCTP and a web API, you could configure a primary SNPP carrier that fails over to the WCTP carrrier that fails over to the web API.

Whague

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second phone call to Rogers. Once again they confirm that the Snpp and Wctp both should be working.

I have noticed that I am getting two different errors between the two protocols.

WCTP - Invalid Response from the Host
SNPP - Unable to connect to Carrier.

Do these protocols need the authentication filled in or is that optional?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you're receiving the same 'no response from host' responses that we are when we try to access those hosts.

With regards to the credentials, if the gateways required authentication, you would need to fill that out. However, the authentication is used in the protocol negotiation sequence and if the host isn't handshaking on the initial protocol request, it won't ever get to a point where the authentication is relevant.

You may want to let the Rogers tech know that if they try to telnet to their own SNPP host on port 444, the host isn't responding. Same for their WCTP host.

OzCom

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your own firewall is not preventing the connection?

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. We've tried this from a system on the DMZ as well as from three separate ISPs, all systems with all firewalls disabled for testing. The issue seems to be with the hosts.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of digging, we were able to find the following thread on the Rogers support forum:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/E-mail-to-Text-SMS/m-p/416427#M21315

To quote the Rogers support moderator, "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however, we've looked into this issue closely and can confirm that Rogers will no longer support the following text messaging services:

Email-to-Text (SMTP-to-SMS) used for sending text messages via email
Paging-to-Text (SNPP-to-SMS or WCTP-to-SMS) used for sending pager messages to text via internet-enabled PC or software.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please note that all other aspects of your Rogers services will remain the same."

Whague

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those protocols you have listed from Rogers, and I've seen that page myself where the bearer of bad news.

Both of those are to SMS, so responding from your Pager to a Cell Phone. Or responding from a Pager to Email. And not the other way around.

Rogers seems to think their services are up and working, and I have an on going ticket to figure out why I can't connect, with your program, or let alone telnet, which according to them should still be working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: