NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

PageGate client default Server Database path

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonsense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: PageGate client default Server Database path Reply with quote

On my Windows profile, in the PageGate client setup, I set a default path of P:\database, but when a new user logs in to Windows, it reverts to P:\PageGate for their profile. I did select 'Use these setting for all local users' under my initial profile. How do I fix this?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend logging on to the workstation as an Administrator, then run 'Regedit'.

Once in regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Wow6432Node - NotePage - NotePager Net

Update the DB_Dir key to P:\database\

nonsense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entered the new path in regedit as an admin. After I made the change, I closed regedit and opened it again to confirm the correct path was there. Then I logged in as a standard user account, and it shows the old path when I try to launch the client. I logged back into the admin account and checked the registry and it reverted to the old path.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check, what version of PageGate and which operating system are you using?

nonsense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 7.0. Running on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To double check something, when logged in as the other user, right click on the shortcut for PG Admin and select 'Run as Administrator'. Did it switch to the correct path or keep the incorrect path? Also, is 'Use these settings for all local users' option still selected?

If it kept the incorrect path, update the path, click Apply, then close the Client and re-open it by double clicking on the shortcut. Did it keep the correct path?

nonsense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a bad feeling that this is going to present problems down the road. It seems like the path of least resistance might be to change the folder path setup and the PageGate file share on the server.

As an example, the old server was setup as E:\apps\pagegate\database, and the 'Apps' level was shared out. So when \\server\apps was mapped, the default was P:\pagegate, it would see the database folder.

The problem is now the path is C:\PageGateData\database (the PageGateData folder is shared out as 'PageGate'. Now when the drive is mapped, it is mapped as \\server\Pagegate, so when the client opens, it looks for P:\PageGate, which does not exist. I don't want to share out the whole C drive (and would have to rename the PageGateData folder to PageGate anyhow.

My concern is that renaming a folder path will break untold things, unless you can guide me through this. I notice in the PageGate Admin, there are multiple paths in the Programs > Settings tab. What else do I need to change? Anything manually in the registry?

I am thinking about changing the database path to C:\NotePage\PageGate\Database, then when I map the NotePage folder, the P:\PageGate path will be valid at that point.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easier solution might be to copy the \database folder to the new location, then go to Program - Settings section of the PG Admin and update the database directory. After updating the database directory in the Admin, you'll receive a message that PageGate needs to be restarted; at which point you'll want to restart the PageGate services and re-open the Admin.

After that, you would just need to change the share/mapping and you should be good to go.

nonsense

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked thanks. I suspect that the person that initially installed it created a special database folder and that was affecting it's ability to find the database using its default path. I looked on our old server, and a database folder did not exist. Am I correct that the default install does NOT have a database folder?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PageGate will always make a database folder that the program's master database is kept within. That folder is specified in the PG Admin in the Program - Settings and will exist for any installation of PageGate.

nonsense

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your assistance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: