NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Verizon has modified their SMTP gateway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Verizon has modified their SMTP gateway Reply with quote

Verizon has updated their receiving SMTP infrastructure and now has a limit on the number of messages you can send to their public SMTP gateway (phonenumber@vtext.com) per day.

If you receive a 554 response from a connection attempt to smtpin01.vzw.a.cloudfildter.net or smtpin02.vzw.a.cloudfilter.net, your site sends more traffic than their new public gateway allows.

That leaves you with a few options.

1) Register on their Enterprise gateway.

The URL you'll need to get started on the registration process is:
https://ess.emag.vzw.com/emag/login

This PDF contains some basic information about how to start the process of registration:

http://www.notepage.net/support/EMAG.pdf

You will need to contact your organization, city, county, state or regional Verizon Representative and request that they help you register as there are questions during the registration process that only a Verizon representative will be able to answer.

2) Use a cellular modem.

A cellular modem is a device that provides a cellular connection to a system. PageGate can use this device to send (and receive) SMS messages just like a cell phone does, so you can bypass the need to rely on any carrier's internet gateways.

Multitech's MTC-H5 and rCell 100 series are examples of these types of devices.

3) Do both. You can use the cellular modem as a primary method of delivering messages and have PageGate use a silent failover to the EMAG in the event the hardware has a problem.

Last edited by Tech Support on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:53 pm; edited 6 times in total
case522

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not getting an error message but have noticed that recently there is a 5-6 minute delay in sending the messages out. Is this due to the update also or could it be something else?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the delays being experienced are directly related to Verizon's implementation of their new receiving system and its limits. We've also noticed that delayed messages can be the precursor to rejected messages due to going over the receiving system's message limit.

Having said that, though, it is possible that the delay could be coming from PageGate or something effecting PageGate. If you would, please email the c:\PageGateData\Logs\*.log files from your PageGate server to support at notepage dot com so we can go over them to let you know if we can see anything directly responsible for the delay.

mwaters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are also experiencing the 5-6 minute delays for our Verizon clients. I have a ticket in with Verizon support on it which has been escalated up their chain as we are a 911 facility with a number of firefighter command staff that like to get timely texts for incidents.

We can see PageGate(v6) shaking hands with the smtpin01.vzw.a.cloudfildter.net email server and it will eventually say the message was successfully sent.

We might look into the Enterprise offering you mentioned but the page to register for that seems like it is not working. At least the "Register" links, among others, do not work.

Mike

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using this URL instead:
https://ess.emag.vzw.com/emag/login

This is the URL that the Verizon representative we spoke to suggested to use to start the registration process.

Last edited by Tech Support on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mwaters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that one works.

We have been told now from Verizon that certain messages sent to them are being flagged for "Additional Treatment" and this is causing the delays of sending text messages. They have another 911 center with the problem and I called our sister 911 agency up the road and they, too, are seeing the problem.

This "additional treatment" will not be going away I'm told. We have expressed to them that this is not acceptable for a public safety agency and that they need to do what they can do to white-list our domain or whatever it takes to relive us from this "additional treatment".

They admit that this new scanning was introduced within the last week. The engineer seemed to be relaying information from another engineer who suggested that maybe we could use a more "enterprise grade delivery mechanism". I told them that we WERE using an enterprise grade system but they felt that PageaGate wasn't one. He also offered as a potential fix, that we look at their enterprise messaging system, the one referenced above in earlier posts.

As I learn more I will let you know, but it might be worth starting a ticket with Verizon support and at the very least register your displeasure with their new "treatment".

Mike

Last edited by mwaters on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. It's incredibly useful and we appreciate your input.

mwaters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a call back from them as soon as I finished posting my last comment. The tech, who is apparently been given the role of liaison between me and the actual engineering folk, said they said that their system is reporting, about the SMTP traffic we send from PG, a "No Received Header" message. Basically, this is some gobledygook that means their SPAM filters are rejecting on some content we aren't sending. I asked him how was I supposed to know how to fix my messages(if that's even possible) if they don't tell me what it is they are looking for in the header. I told him that their systems should already have a valid sending address from me as well as a valid IP address from our network and that our SPF records are properly configured.

With that information, he is going back to the engineers to see what can be done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: