NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

SNPP vs SMTP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ECCCTECHCOORD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: SNPP vs SMTP Reply with quote

What are the advantages or disadvantages of SNPP vs SMTP.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When possible, using SNPP is the preferred method of delivery.

There are two methods of delivering SMTP traffic: direct and relayed. When using the 'direct' method, PageGate uses its own internal SMTP/Email engine to deliver the messages directly from the computer PageGate is installed on. When using the 'relayed' method, PageGate passes all traffic to the specified SMTP/Email server.

Regardless of the specific method used, SMTP is a 'relayed' protocol. Which is to say, when you deliver an SMTP message, even if you're using direct delivery, the message has to pass through a series of 'hops' to reach its destination.

By comparison, SNPP is a point to point transmission protocol. So, unlike SMTP, the message doesn't have to hop through any gateways. You're transmitting the message from your system directly to the receiving SNPP server of the carrier. That host is, usually, directly tied to the message delivery gateway, so it's far less likely for the messages to be delayed or lost.

ECCCTECHCOORD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reading over the Verizon Messaging Gatway FAQ's it says that users must subscribe or opt-in. Is this indeed true? I think it would be a nightmare to try to get over 500 VZW users to do this so we can send them messages. Does Sprint also require users to opt-in?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get final confirmation from Verizon's EMAG Team but, to my knowledge, that isn't the case. You have to register if you want to send messages but, as far as I know, the gateway itself can deliver messages to any Verizon phone by default and any cell phone number if the inter-carrier option is enabled on the account.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can also say that Sprint's SNPP Gateway does not require the individual cell phone recipients to subscribe. Only the site wishing to send messages must register with the gateway.

dan_metrosafe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently am setup with Sprint, Verizon and AT&T. Of the 3 AT&T is the only one that requires you to add their phones to the EMAG system before they will work. The other 2 you just enter your folks into PageGate and you are good to go!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: