NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Notification of successful page not occurring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjaroff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Notification of successful page not occurring Reply with quote

I upgraded from Pagegate 4.0 to 5.0 in December 2008. I failed to notice that email notification of success (or failure) of pages to the sender seemed to stop I believe since the upgrade. This was brought to my attention today. I have looked in the GetMail section of PGAdmin to find the setting to turn notification of success or failure of pages on/off and have found nothing. I found a reference to this in "help" where it says under "Email Interface/GetMail" "Email Outcome - the success or failure of messages sent can be automatically returned to the sender via email." This is what I want, but I can find no place to fix this so it is turned back on. Can you help me with this? Thank you.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We modified the way the Email Outcome settings are handled in version 5. The success/failure notification system has been enhanced in PG v5. Here is how it works:

When a message is successfully delivered, PG looks for a file named successnotifylist.txt in the PG program folder. This file can contain a list of email addresses that will receive notification that the message was successful. You can use the special value %Sender% on one of the lines to have the sender of the message in the list (kind of mimicking the old email-outcome feature).

In addition you need a success.mtp file in the PG program folder to be used as a template for what is sent in the success notification message. It uses the same variables at the message delivery templates.

The same process happens for a failed message, but it uses a failurenotifylist.txt and a failure.mtp file instead.

To mimic the old behavior create a successnotifylist.txt file in the PG folder with a single line containing %Sender%. Do the same for a failurenotifylist.txt file.

The success.mtp file should look like this:

Subject: Successful Message To %Recipient%

Message Info:
Recv: %RequestedDate% %RequestedTime%
Sent: %Date% %Time%
To: %Recipient%
Msg: %Message%

The failure.mtp file should look like this:

Subject: Failed Message To %Recipient%

Message Info:
Fail: %Date% %Time%

It's a bit more complicated than in v4, but a lot more flexible.

jjaroff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Thank you, it's mostly handled now... Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the instruction.

I have implemented the successnotifylist.txt, success.mtp and corresponding failure files as instructed and these work, but I still have two issues, one is directly related to this same problem and the other (unfortunately) is not.

1. The notification email received does not have a "From:" specified. Is there some way of setting up the notification template so that it will put a value in the "From:" field of the email? Just in case this makes a difference, I do have the PageGate computer set up to relay all email via our internal mail server (which is a different physical machine but on the same LAN). Do you by any chance also have a list handy of all the available variables (i.e. %% values) that could be used/referenced in the template files?

2. The email message I sent had a character dropped from the Message. I mention it because I have noticed this on previous pages. The original earlier message sent was "Test to pager..." but was received as "Test to 20 pager..." and the most recent one was "Test to jj's cell phone." but was received as "Test to j 's cell phone." (missing a 'j'). The success notification on this last one had the 'j' missing from the message as well. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

JJ

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you, it's mostly handled now... Reply with quote

jjaroff wrote:
1.Do you by any chance also have a list handy of all the available variables (i.e. %% values) that could be used/referenced in the template files?

These are the list of variables that can be used:

%Sender%
%Subject%
%Message%
%Reliapage%
%Recipient%
%OrigRecipient%
%FullName%
%Comment1%
%Comment2%
%Comment3%
%Comment4%
%Date%
%Time%
%RequestedDate%
%RequestedTime%
%MilitaryTime%
%RequestedMilitaryTime%
%TimeZone%
%ShortTimeZone%
%Station%
%LoginName%
%ComputerName%

Quote:
2. The email message I sent had a character dropped from the Message. I mention it because I have noticed this on previous pages. The original earlier message sent was "Test to pager..." but was received as "Test to 20 pager..." and the most recent one was "Test to jj's cell phone." but was received as "Test to j 's cell phone." (missing a 'j'). The success notification on this last one had the 'j' missing from the message as well. Any ideas?

If you look at the connector log in PageGate, what is PageGate actually sending? We need to find out where the messages are being garbled, whether it's from PageGate, your mail server, or the receiving Pager's server.

jjaroff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Pagegate Connector log Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the list of variables. Is there some way in the mtp file that I can specify the the email address of the sender of the notification (like the administrator's address)? There is a "Subject:" literal which puts the ensuing data in the Subject area of the email. Is there a similar literal (perhaps "Sender:"?) for filling that field of the sent email?

On the second issue, I checked in the Connector Log and the message being sent by the connector is modified from the text of the message originally sent in the email(s). In other words, what I received on the pages is what the Connector sent, so the alteration is occurring before the Connector sends the message.

I tried looking in the GetMail log, but the text of the messages does not appear in the SMTP Incoming log. There is only a "DATA" line indicating the data was received. I'm thinking the change must be occurring in the GetMail module somehow upon receipt of the email.

I did look in the "Sent Messages" Report and the text under "Message" is the altered text. The data under the "Login" column is "GetMail" (if that helps).

If there is any other information I can give you please let me know.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you would, email your contact information over to support at notepage dot com.

zLon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to try this out, so I created a 'failurenotifylist.txt' with just my email address in it. I also created a 'failure.mtp' and pasted the following:
Subject: Failed Message To %Recipient%

Message Info:
Fail: %Date% %Time%

Both files are placed in C:\Program Files (x86)\NotePage\PageGate\
I am not receiving any error emails. Do I need the GetMail module or turn something else on?

Lon (sorry to hijack this thread, it seemed better than starting a new one)

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Success and Failure Notification system does require the GetMail module to function.

zLon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this in the global logs when I try to send a message to my cell modem and it gets rejected. The system is working properly and the message should be rejected by design. I just need an email when this does happen.

08/12/2015 9:37:09 AM PGSched Message scheduled. Recipient: replies from: +15130000000
08/12/2015 9:37:14 AM PGDial2 SUCCESSFUL Stn:7 To:replies Frm:+15130000000000 Msg:Test3
8/12/2015 9:37:16 AM PGGAscii Message rejected. Recipient: +15130000000000 from: paging@xxxxx.com

How do I trigger Page Gate to see my failurenotifylist.txt?

Lon

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to double check, if you go in to the PageGate Admin and go to the Program - Settings section, is GetMail checked in the 'Run on this server' section? Also, if you go to Interfaces - GetMail - Settings, is Enabled checked? Lastly, if you run the PageGate Monitor, is GetMail red or green?

zLon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sorry, I did not read your last reply correctly. I thought it said "..system does 'not' require the GETMAIL module" .

Thanks for clearing that up. I will purchase the GETMAIL module.

Lon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: