NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Do I need to have a 1+tendigitphone (USA)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huh, help

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Do I need to have a 1+tendigitphone (USA) Reply with quote

I have been sending SMS to ATTWS using tendigitnumber@mobile.att.net. Today I tried to send to a Sony Ericsson using this format but it didn't work. Finally I sent an SMS as email from this handset to my computer and saw the number was 1+tendigitnumber. So I addressed the SMS that way and it was fine.
I then took that SIM chip out and put it in a Motorola V600 and was able to send SMS to that phone with and without the 1+. What is going on?

To further complicate matters I sent an SMS to a SprintPCS phone with a 1+ and it bounced back.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are unable to assist with SIM / Hardware related issues or with sending SMS from devices.

When sending messages via SMTP from our software, you should refer to the SMTP settings found here:

http://www.notepage.net/smtp.htm

Huh, help

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if I was clear. I was sending via SMTP, not a device. I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered this before. It could potentially be a big deal if some carriers on some handsets start requiring a 1+ prefix.

Here is the problem, agian, and hopefully more clearly
1. Tried to send SMS via SMTP with tendigitnumber@mobile.att.net. Got nothing (sony ericsson t637)
2. In frustration I sent an SMS as email from the device to my email, to see if the address was correct.
3. I noticed the return address from the device was 1+tendigitnumber@mobile.att.net
4. I used 1+ tendigitnumber@mobile.att.net when sending the SMS via SMTP and that worked
5. I took that SIM chip out and put it in a Motorola V600
6. I sent SMS via SMPT to that phone using 1+tendigitnumber@mobile.att.net, it worked
7. I sent another SMS via SMPT to that phone using only tendigitnumber@mobile.att.net, it also worked

I realize this has nothing to do with your great product, but It potentially affects a lot of customers, I was jsut seeing if anyone else has experienced this.
Any one?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification.

We have not see the usage of 1+ tendigit SMTP addresses so far, and certainly do not understand why the "device/SIM" combination would matter.

The SMTP server should either accept or reject the message regardless of the receiving device.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: