NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

GetWeb not updating properly
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGAdmin.exe is the process used to checks for the existence of the folder and creates them if they doesn't exist. That particular process is executed each time you apply a template to a group or recipient and again when the group members of a group that has a template applied to it are modified. I'm... not entirely sure what to have you check next because all of the local permissions seem to be set properly but something is definitely preventing PageGate from creating those folders.

Just to verify that, though, create a new directory c:\temp\ and temporarily set your Web Pages path to c:\temp\. After you do that, try to modify the member list of one of your web paging groups and see if it can create and update that folder and its files.

mwagoner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh ha! When setting it to C:\temp\ it was able to create the directories. The web pages are normally set to \\servername\Inetpub\wwwroot\. I also tried setting with web pages to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ and that worked as well.

So it seems it's only having trouble with the path when it's a network share. I can't remember exactly why we configured it this way but I know there was a good reason. Also the current working server here has it set this way too without a problem. I have the share permissions set to grant "Everyone" full control. I'm not certain what would be blocking the access.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, if you're having PageGate's GetWeb module access anything outside of its own server, you're going to have to provide the PageGate GetWeb system service a set of network credentials. By default, Windows System Services use the Local System Account, which has no network credentials of any kind.

mwagoner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UNC path it's connecting to is on the same server GetWeb is running on. It's connecting back to itself. We had set it up this way so that remote admin clients would be able to access these directories.

See this post http://www.notepage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14173&highlight=#14173

I can try giving the GetWeb service network credentials. I'll also look on our existing server and see if I had set it up that way there too.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may seem a little odd but using UNC path changes the basic permissions requests from local permission requests to network permission requests. So, unfortunately, even if the path is technically a local path, using a UNC path means you'll need to give the GetWeb module network credentials.

mwagoner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that makes sense and the puzzle pieces are starting to fall into place I think. On our existing server which is working properly we originally had all the GetWeb paths set to local paths. We then created all of our groups, which would have created all the folders in Inetpub. Later on, as you can see from the post above, we decided to administer the server remotely. So we changed the paths for GetWeb to UNC paths. Just like I'm seeing on this new server any time we made changes to group memberships on the existing "working" server it properly updated the web pages. However we haven't added any new groups to this "working" server so it hasn't ever tried to create a new folder in Inetpub. I just confirmed that the "working" server is using a local system account just like this new server. I think I would find on the "working" server that it would exhibit the same behavior if I tried to create a new group.

I will play with the new server on Monday and give the GetWeb module a network account to use. I will post my findings.

mwagoner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I tried giving the GetWeb service a specific account to use and then granted that account share access to the IIS directories. I didn't have any luck but I didn't spend much time on it. For now I'm just going to use local paths so I can get up and running.

Thank you for your help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: