NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Orion Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dillon2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Orion Help Reply with quote

Is this possible to do? Share the NotePager Pro folder on the network, give the Orion system Full Permissions to the folder and its contents. Is this all I have to do to get orion and notepager to work?

Once that is done, I can go in to Orion and reconfigure the Trigger and Reset actions to use a command line/external executable. The command will be used is....

\\workstationmachinename\NotePager Pro\npp.exe <recipient> <sender> <message>

For example:

\\NPComputer\NotePager Pro\npp.exe Alerts Orion This is a test.

That example would send a message to a recipient or group named Alerts from the Sender Orion and the message text would say "This is a test".

Thanks for helping,
Dillon

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that should work.

dillon2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was mostly from a older topic I saw here on the form and wanted to make sure it will still updated. Your guys support is amazing you can count on my business. Just one last question what does it mean by workstationmachinename? Are they talking about the IP of the computer?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any UNC path the first variable is the machine you want to connect to. Now, you can either use the IP address or the actual machine name in the first variable, either will work.

dillon2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sorry to bother you again. But after I set the permissions on the folder do I need to do anything on the computer I gave it permission to? so computer 1 has notepager pro- gave computer 2 full access to the notepager file located on the C: Drive... I should be good to go right?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you shouldn't need to do anything else on the NotePager PC after you share the directory and set the appropriate permissions. Now, I will admit that I'm not that familiar with exactly how Orion does everything. It's possible that you may need to assign a username and password to one of the Orion Windows Services in order to grant that service the ability to see and access the shared network information but I'm not sure.

dillon2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also when I go to set an action is gives me the option of dial paging or sms service but it says that its not installed. I know its installed on the other computer but how would I go about putting in the alert?

dillon2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help it much appreciated.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dillon2011 wrote:
Also when I go to set an action is gives me the option of dial paging or sms service but it says that its not installed. I know its installed on the other computer but how would I go about putting in the alert?

Right, the "Dial Paging or SMS Service" option is only available if you have NotePager Pro or PageGate installed on the same system as Orion because that function in Orion references a very specific portion of the registry where our programs keep information.

Since it's on a separate system, you're going to need to use the "Execute an external command" option and then pass the command line string that you mentioned earlier in the thread.

dillon2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to have the option of executing an external command. I do have a Execute an external program. I tried using that one and it said that the file could not be found.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Execute an External Program, that's the option.

Now, when it says it can't find the executable, do you know what service Orion is using to issue the command? If so, that's the service that needs the user rights assignment change. If not, you'll need to contact SolarWinds to find out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: