NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Verizon Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james.woda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Verizon Problem Reply with quote

I am a 911 dispatcher and we use pagegate v5.0 to send text alerts to volunteer firefigters. The messages are sent through our CAD software to pagegate. Everything was working smoothly for a few months and then we noticed that Verizon customers were not receiving messages (all other carriers were going through). I cheked the mailbox of our relay server and found hundreds of returned messages, all from Verizon.

I tried a test to see if the SMS gateway (vtext.com) was the problem and tried to use MMS instead but the messages were still returned.

Any advice?

OzCom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What protocol are you using?

If TAP - VZW is in the process of deactivating their TAP access unless your recipient is subscribed *additional fee)

If SMTP - do you have "SEND SUBJECT" checked in each recipient?

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did those returned email say, though? They should have given you some reply and mail server indication from Verizon as to why they were returned.

james.woda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is basically what I'm getting every time.

SMTP error from remote server in greeting:
host smtp-sl.vtext.com[69.78.67.53]:
554 txslspamp1.vtext.com

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 554 rejection notice is indicating that your IP range is being prevented from sending SMTP messages through their host. Basically, likely through no fault of you or anyone on your network, your internet service provider's MTA record has been downgraded and is now in poor standing with most spam watch lists.

There are a few things you can do. You can try to contact Verizon directly and try to get through to one of their Tier 3 techs (the first two tiers won't have any concept or notion of what you're going to be asking about) to ask them if they'll place your IP on a whitelist of verified senders. You can also ask them about the possibility (and potential costs) of using their Enterprise Messaging System.

You can contact your internet service provider, show them the 554 rejection notices and let them know that their MTA record is in poor standing. This is really NOT a good thing for an ISP, so one would hope that they would take steps to address the issue.

Beyond that, if you have (or can have installed) a modem with a phone line, you can reconfigure your Verizon carrier and recipients so that PageGate can deliver the messages directly to the Verizon TAP terminal rather than going through their internet host.

OzCom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option that has been proven to be very reliable and fast for Public Safety Agencies is to add an industrial cellular modem and send the messages as true MO/MT (Mobile Originated/Mobile Terminated) SMS. This has the added benefit of NOT needing to know the recipient's carrier - only the 10 digit cell number.

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan@MetroSafe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same issue here at our Center and I had a meeting with our local Verizon Wireless Rep. and she checked with Verizon and found out that Verizon would sign up our 911 Center with Verizon Emterprise Messaging at no cost. She sent me the paperwork and she got us setup. We are reliably sending messages to Verizon devices now using any protocol we choose. Currently we are using SNPP and it goes out very fast. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you the name of the Verizon Rep for your area.

EMA/MetroSafe
Dan@MetroSafe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, The Ohio Verizon Rep. called me and she will be contacting the Lawrence County OH 911 Center to see if she can help them get setup. Hope this helps!!

EMA/MetroSafe
james.woda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: