NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

SMTP with Gmail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: SMTP with Gmail Reply with quote

Trying to use Notepager Pro with Gmail's SMTP server, however the server requires authentication. Is this not possible? If not, then what SMTP server would you recommend using. We are contemplating a switch at the firehouse to Notepager Pro to facilitate the use of both alpha pagers and Iphones but can't get a page sent to an I phone.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, GMail's SMTP Server requires SSL for Authentication and NotePager Pro doesn't currently support it. We do support standard SMTP authentication, just not SSL... so, if you have access to a mail server that supports standard authentication, the program can use it instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: SMTP Server Reply with quote

Can I utilize an smtp server hosted on the same machine as the client is running? If so how do I configure it?

Hazardous Materials Technician
Jefferson County Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Team
OzCom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, have Richard call me Tuesday - PageGate will do what you need - MUCH faster than NotePager Pro (NPP was designed for a single machine with 1 outbound port)

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Not sure who Richard is... Reply with quote

Not sure who Richard is. You may have me confused with someone else. Possibly another Jefferson County. We are only interested in one machine. NPP has the closest "feel" to the current client we are using and a few of the Old Timers are resistant to a possible change as it is. I have given up on using Gmail's SMTP server and am trying to use Charter's SMTP server. I see no where to enter a password for the server. I realize that the "Sender's Name" needs to be the SMTP user name, but where do I enter the PW? I am running out of time on the trial. If I can't get this running by the trial expiration I will have to abandon this option. This is definitely not my desired result.

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Or is local SMTP better? Reply with quote

Or would a local SMTP server be easier?
And if so how should I go about setting that up?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotePager Pro doesn't currently support SMTP authentication.

You have a couple of options.

1. Give PageGate at try. It's GUI Client user interface is VERY similar to NotePager Pro's

2. Setup an in-house/local email/SMTP server. Have NotePager Pro deliver to that server, and configure the email/SMTP server to do the necessary authentication.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: