NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Had DSL and yesterday Comcast Cable installed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noreturn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Had DSL and yesterday Comcast Cable installed Reply with quote

Hello - Had DSLfor 6 years and yesterday Comcast Cable installed. I can connect to the web and my network. However Notpager Pro will not send a message now. Any thoughts on what I need to try please. None of them get sent.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comcast has port 25 closed for its internet users and port 25 is the port that the SMTP protocol uses, which is likely how you have the program configured.

So, here's what you'll want to do:

1) Go to Carriers - Edit.

2) Highlight one of your carriers, click on Edit.

3) Change the Local Domain to: comcast.net

4) Move the dot down to: Deliver through Local Email Server

5) In the Relay Server field, enter: smtp.comcast.net

6) Click on Apply.

7) Close the Edit Carrier list.

8) Go to Tools - Settings - General.

9) Change the Sender's Name field to the prefix of your new Comcast email address. For example, if your new address is whatever@comcast.net, your Sender's Name MUST be: whatever

10) Click on Apply.

That should do it.

noreturn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That worked. However it defeats my entire set up for many years. I have my own domain name gorxxxxxxxx.com that I have been using with notpager. And my own email address is set to email email@gorxxxxxxxx.com.
So when I sent a message through notepager via smtp the return message came right to my email@gorxxxxxxxx.com Now it is going somewhere I have no use for.
Is there a way I can get this to work back to the way it has always worked? I do not and will not be working with any of Comcast emails...only my own hosted at Site5 and called gorxxxxxx.com

If I use this comcast set up that you gave me and the receiver of me text message replies to the message I do not receive it since all my mail goes to email@gorxxxxxxxx.com
How do I keep it set up the way I have always had it?

OzCom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO - it worked fine - then you made an ISP change - and now it doesn't work as needed? SInce your new provider handles connections differently, you'll need to ask them to allow your OUTBOUND traffic - OR - see if they have a RELAY server available

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your previous ISP, port 25 was open and you didn't have to use a mail relay system. On Comcast, you have to use their mail relay system and to use their mail relay system, you have to use their domain information.

So, you'll need to talk to Comcast about opening port 25 for you. By default, they have that port shut off for all of their accounts. If you have their business service, you can request the port be opened. I'm not sure if they'll open it if you're on their residential service.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: