NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Modem Redundency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Modem Redundency Reply with quote

Hi,

Shortly I will be implementing Solarwinds Orion NPM. I'm looking for a SMS/paging app to integrate with it that can provide a HA modem solution i.e. Will send via one modem, say a USB Anyware Modem and then if the message fails or the modem is unavailable it will attempt to send via a locally attached USB GSM modem.

Does either NotePager Pro or PageGate offer this level of redundency?

Thanks,

JC

OzCom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - easily

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. PageGate has two different types of failover that might be used in this case. In both cases, you would need two Connectors in PageGate as one connector can only be tied to one COM port at a time.

So, having said that, you could configure a carrier in PageGate that was set to dial whatever TAP number was relevant and set that carrier to use connector 1. Then you would have a second connector set to dial whatever TAP number was relevant for the backup modem and set that to use connector 2. Then, in the settings of the first carrier, you specify the second carrier as the failover.

Alternatively, you could do a recipient level failover... but I don't think that would be the most efficient configuration for what you're describing.

OzCom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend using the GSM device as PRIMARY delivery, with analog dial up and/or SMTP, SNPP, WCTP as a backup. The primary issue you'll find is that not all carriers support TAP, SNPP, or WCTP. The other issue is that SMTP is supported by all carriers, BUT, not as reliable as the previously mentioned protocols. ALL cellular carriers support cross network SMS messaging, which is whatyour GSM device will be delivering

View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys! I've only recently been handed systems monitoring responsibilities so I'm pretty new to this sort of thing - paging, SMS's etc. I'm hoping you may be able to shed some light on a couple of things for me.

We have an existing PageGate installation on our SCOM cluster (and are looking to implement an SMS and Pager service on our new Solarwinds environment) which has two different carriers configured with one GSM modem for each.

1. Carrier GSM-AT using connector 1 (com 3) with GSM-AT as dedicated carrier. SMS recipients are configured to use this one.
2. Carrier TAP using connector 2 (com 4) with TAP as dedicated carrier. Pager recipients are configured to use this one.

My newbie question is, does it have to be this way. Can one modem be used for both Pager and SMS messages? That way I can use the other modem as the failover modem. If this is not possible does that mean I'll need another 2 modems for failover?

I know I'm pushing it but while we're on the topic of modems, could you recommend a good GSM modem supported on Server 2008 R2, preferably one with administration software that can show signal strength and perhaps restart the modem if required?

Tech Support, you didn't mention NotePager Pro. Can I assume that only PageGate has the failover/redundancy options?

Thanks so much for your help.

OzCom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC - please send your contact info off list - I will call you to discuss Cellular dems

NotePage Sales
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotePager Pro does not support these options.

You may want to continue using your existing PageGate, which has the Failover option, and Additional Connectors for multiple modems.

JC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys I wasn't very clear with my last post.

Can I have multiple 'connectors' with different 'dedicated carriers' configured to use the same modem/'serial port'?

Thanks again,

JC

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not really. Each connector can only have one dedicated carrier. If a Connector's Dedicated Carrier is set to None, that connector can handle any traffic to any carrier. Also, each connector needs its own modem/serial port if you want that connector to be able to use the TAP or other modem/serial based protocol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: