NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

How to integrate SolarWinds Orion w/ PageGate over network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gperkins

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: How to integrate SolarWinds Orion w/ PageGate over network? Reply with quote

1) PageGate is running on its own server on the enterprise network (Windows 2008 32bit). Licensed for web gateway. Has serial connectivity to enterprise paging system/antenna and serial connectivity with modem on telephone line to place outbound paging calls to external paging services.
2) SolarWinds Orion NPM (network performance monitor) is running on its own server on the enterprise network (Windows 2003 32bit). It does not have any serial connectivity.

How do I configure PageGate and SolarWinds so that SolarWinds can be set to send pages to PageGate?
:: If I were to license (for example) the GetAscii module in PageGate, how do I configure SolarWinds to place the needed info into a file for PageGate to consume?
:: We also have an Exchange server and currently use SolarWinds to send e-mail alerts. Could I send an e-mail to PageGate (what module would I need to license do to that?)

Thanks in advance.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... okay, since you need PageGate on the system that has the serial link to your transmitter, you can't use the GetAscii method of integration with Orion. Orion requires, absolutely has to have, PageGate on the same system as Orion in order to do the direct GetAscii integration.

Now, since Orion can send email, you can install PageGate on the system with the serial link and then use PageGate's GetMail module to receive email from the Orion system.

The most efficient way to do this would be to talk to whoever runs your Exchange server and ask them to create a sub-domain for you (paging.whatever.com, for example). Then have them redirect the MX record of that sub-domain to the IP of the PageGate System.

Then go into the Interfaces - GetMail - Settings portion of the PageGate Admin and set the Local Domain to match the sub-domain. Click on Enable, click on Apply and tell it yes you do want to enable it for all existing groups and recipients.

Once you do that, all recipients and groups in the program become valid email addresses on the sub-domain. So, for example, let's say that we have a group named priorityalerts. You could have Orion send an email to priorityalerts@paging.whatever.com and PageGate would receive the email and then direct the message to whoever was a member of the priorityalerts group.

gperkins

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. Not sure if we will go down this path or not. Partly because if what SolarWinds is trying to page us about is a problem with the Exchange server, then we don't want Exchange between SolarWinds and PageGate! I am trying not to make this any more complicated than necessary.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... would it be possible to move Orion to the box that has the serial connection? If so, you could have PageGate installed on the same system as Orion and use the direct GetAscii integration.

Also... there may be a slightly unorthodox way to bypass the Exchange server for the GetMail integration. I don't remember, so can you find out from Orion if it does its own SMTP delivery or if it relays mail through a mail server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: