NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Using PageGate to send messages to a Twitter account

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rballan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Using PageGate to send messages to a Twitter account Reply with quote

I use PageGate to text automated flood warning alarms to people on their cell phones. Does anyone have any idea how I can direct these automated alarms to a Twitter account using PageGate?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way for PageGate to send messages to a Twitter account. I'm not sure it can be done, currently.

OzCom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of our PageGate installations also use an attached cellular modem driven by one of the connector modules. This device is subscribed as an authorized user of a Twitter account. There is a recipient set up in PG called "Twitter Feed" and that recipient is a member of several notification groups. When a messageis sent to the group, a "Tweet" is also created and pushed, which is then received by all subscribers to that feed. One example is @PortlandFire

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I didn't even think of that. That's a brilliant solution, OzCom. I'll have to make a note of that for future reference.

rballan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have a second solution involving sending the alarm message to a special email account that automatically sends the message on as a tweet. More on that later once I receive a response from CalTrain in San Francisco.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an email address that can be tied to your Twitter feed, PageGate should be able to send messages to that address with no trouble at all.

OzCom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - PageGate can EASILY send an email - BUT - Email should NOT be considered reliable for emergency notifications. While it generally is reasonably fast, there is no "handshake" between point of origination and point of termination. Once you hit "SEND", the message is out of your control and you have no way of knowing if the recipient's wireless carrier received the message for processing

View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rballan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then OzCom, what would your suggestion be for someone who doesn't have the ability to attach a modem to a computer, since our software exists on a server in Texas and we're in Calif? You have a phone number with your cellular modem that Twitter can tie to the transmission. We don't have that. We already use the texting capability of PageGate for the emergency managers who have to get the message. Twitter would be for public notifications.

OzCom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can EASILY
1) Attach the cellular modem to the server in Texas (remember - it doesnt really matter where the device is located, as long as it has a valid cellular subscription with unlimited text messaging and it can reach the cellular tower with at least 1 bar of signal)

2) Run your PageGate in a distributed fashion with the primary server running as is in Texas and one connector module running locally where you are. Then the device can be installed locally and tied to that connector.

3) If reliability isn't as large of an issue, here's a cost effective, if convoluted solution: Obtain a free Google Voice number then use that number to send your tweets (it will need to be subscribed and authorized to post to the feed). Then - set up a new recipient in Pagete and have the messages delivered to the SMTP address associated with the GVoice number.

Does this help?

rballan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion 3 sounds good. I'll try that. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: