NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Not able to send SMTP text to cell phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeviewFD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Not able to send SMTP text to cell phones Reply with quote

I am having difficulty establishing the protocol to send text messages to a Verizon Wireless phone. I've tried several times with various setups and it keeps getting rejected. I can't figure what I'm doing wrong. Port 25 is open as I already checked that based on previous tutorials.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be anything on your end, Verizon may not be accepting direct connection requests from your ISP's IP range. If you would, run this test for me:

1) In Windows, go to Start - Run.

2) In the Run line, type the following and click OK: command

3) In the command prompt, type the following and hit enter:

telnet smtp-bb.vtext.com 25

Let me know what the response is.

LakeviewFD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connection to host lost

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you got the 554 rejection notice. That means Verizon isn't accepting direct connection requests from anyone on your ISP's network... definitely nothing you did on your end. So, to get around that, I need you to contact your Internet Service Provider and ask them these qeustions:

1) What SMTP server can I use?

2) Does that Server require authentication?

3) If it does, what specific authentication credentials should I use?

Once you have the answer to those three questions, email me at support at notepage dot com and we'll go from there.

LakeviewFD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I got back from my ISP:
DaveK(Mon Mar 8 13:54:09 EST 2010)>The SMTP servers would actually depend on what email address you are using. What address are you sending from?

John(Mon Mar 8 13:53:52 EST 2010)>xxxx@wny.twcbc.com

DaveK(Mon Mar 8 13:56:11 EST 2010)>Thank you. The outgoing server you would want to use is ... smtp.biz.rr.com , also If you are using a mail client such as outlook or outlook express, you do want to have the box checked to use authentication when sending.

John(Mon Mar 8 13:57:00 EST 2010)>I am using Outlook. Is the box for authentication in Outlook or maybe in the NotePage software setup?

DaveK(Mon Mar 8 14:00:13 EST 2010)>To get to the box if you already have the address set up, you would go up to tools, then down to account settings. Next you want to click view or change account. Then you can click on the address that is set up and click change. The box will be towards the bottom.

DaveK(Mon Mar 8 14:00:55 EST 2010)>If you are just setting the address up, you will see it during the set up.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

If you would, please contact me off list at support at notepage dot com

You probably don't want to make public posts with regards to the part of the setup we'll need to do next as it involves your private authentication information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: